tracker hull / keel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattb91193

Reaction score
Hey I have a question for you guys. I am purchasing a 1999 tracker pro team 185, and I am a little concerned with the keel. The boat I included the link to is not the one, I just found it online. But if you look at the bottom, you can see where there are gaps in the aluminum. Is that normal? I noticed it on the one I went and looked at, and have been looking online to see if I could find another one that did it, and I did! I just want to make sure that it does not mean there are big issues. The guy told me it does not leak, and the bottom of this one looks exact to the other.

Let me know what you guys think.

https://www.supermotors.net/getfile/811394/original/bass-tracker-pro-team-185-009.jpg

zoom right in on the bottom front of the boat. You'll see what I am talking about.

It may not leak. It could just be the seam. Hopefully a Tracker owner can comment - you might actually be able to call Tracker and ask as well.

It doesn't hurt to ask for a lake test either when you're coming with cash in hand.

That's also something that could be sealed or welded if you didn't trust it. Good luck!

Well the issue with a lake test is I live in Upstate NY, and all the lakes surrounding where it are frozen with ice fisherman occupying them. So thats really not an option at this point.

That appears to be a reinforcing/doubling strip for keel protection. I don't think it would really be a problem as it's still going to be protecting the keel from impacts or wear but I'd want to know why it's pulling away from the hull between rivets like that. I'd want to water test any boat before I purchased it unless the deal was so good that I could afford to fix any leaks that turned up.

JMichael said:
That appears to be a reinforcing/doubling strip for keel protection. I don't think it would really be a problem as it's still going to be protecting the keel from impacts or wear but I'd want to know why it's pulling away from the hull between rivets like that. I'd want to water test any boat before I purchased it unless the deal was so good that I could afford to fix any leaks that turned up.

X2!

Looks like a keep guard to me. If it is, the pulling away shouldn't hurt anything.

The majority of boats I've bought leaked. Mostly though, it was an easy fix.

A water test is best, but a good visual inspection of the hull and transom can tell you a LOT.

Latest posts