Primer/paint questions for an aluminum jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
Hello all.

I am sure this has been answered a million times over, so if you can post a link to the location I can find the conversation, I would appreciate it.

BUT.............I have a 14ft aluminum jon boat. It is currently a greenish color. I am in the process of fixing some of the flaws and there are some areas that will be sanded down to bare aluminum. 90% of the boat will remain as is. Now, once I finish any sanding I need to do, I will rough up the current paint and apply primer. I will end up painting the boat gray after all said and done.

I read online that I can use Self etching primer as well as another primer called zinc chromate.

Since my boat is already painted and a few cosmetic items need to be fixed, can I use a self etching primer or that other primer to seal it and prep it for the gray paint?

anyone have any different suggestions?

You're on the right track.

Here's a link about the two:
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24788

Anything that is bare aluminum should be primed. Make sure to wipe down the boat with acetone (some folks use vinegar) after you sand it and before you prime/paint.

Use the search box for painting and it will have plenty of threads to study up on too.

Latest posts