Working with West epoxy system

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Windman7

Reaction score
I'm rebuilding my transom and with the recommendations from this site, I'm putting the West System epoxy over the wood to seal it out. When filling holes it seems to shrink into the holes. Is it soaking into the wood or shrinking? When I use filler with it, it seems to stick to the spatula and doesn't spread like the straight epoxy. Is there an easier way to work with it? Does the epoxy have to be scuffed before any new layers will be added? Specifically in the holes I'm filling. Am I doing something wrong? Should the epoxy with the filler be white?

Attachments

• 2013-02-23 11.38.07.jpg
    2013-02-23 11.38.07.jpg
    575.9 KB · Views: 654
  • 2013-02-23 11.37.54.jpg
    2013-02-23 11.37.54.jpg
    521 KB · Views: 654
I used the 105 epoxy system on my transom rebuild. It does soak into the wood some, especially in voids and know holes. I did not use the filler with mine, so I can't advise on that point. I just applied more to the voids until they filled. I did scuff the surface lightly between coats, as I would with a paint or varnish.
Note that the West 105 epoxy is not UV resistant, and you will need a top coat of some type to protect it from sunlight degradation (per West Systems themselves). I used spar urethane on mine (also recommended by West Systems) since I wanted to see the wood, but paint would work just as well.

The epoxy should be fine, make sure your working within the temps recommended. You will have to sand between coats......the thicker areas will have to be sanded flush with the surface. If you work with a few thin coats and sand between the surface will build up and become smooth.

What about coating the edges. How do you do it so the epoxy won't run? Do I need to put some filler with it? I don't like adding filler because it doesn't flow well.

Windman7 said:
What about coating the edges. How do you do it so the epoxy won't run? Do I need to put some filler with it? I don't like adding filler because it doesn't flow well.
apply multiple thinner coats to avoid runs. don't add filler unless you need to fill a void.

chevyrulz said:
Windman7 said:
apply multiple thinner coats to avoid runs. don't add filler unless you need to fill a void.
x2 and if you concerned with runs just turn the plywood up on it side and do one at a time, takes longer but the epoxy will self level and dry. Keep in mind, if you just glob the voids with the filler and it is not level with surface you will have to sand more........thin multiple coats are the way to go....especially if you looking to get the smooth finish.

Thanks for the tips. The thin coats are working well. I did clamp with one edge up. Just hoping the voids are filling with the thin coats.

Latest posts