Decking framing question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spropro

Reaction score
Im leaning to an aluminum deck. I've been looking at the framing necessary for attaching the deck, specifically adjacent the top side of the boat which is not at a 90 degree angle to the horizontal more like 120 degrees. Most angle framing material is bent at a 90 degree angle, as shown in the pic which is not suitable for attaching the deck sheet positioned horizontally thereto. So how has the experienced builders solved this problem ?

Attachments

• Framing 001 (640x478).jpg
    Framing 001 (640x478).jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 396
I have used a vise and a hammer with good results to bend both steel and aluminum bracket to the needed degree. Just bend slowly and it should work well. Watch for stress fractures as you bend. If needed, add some heat from a torch to aid the process.

Ringo's got it. Be careful when you use the vise so the bracket doesn't spring out and bite you. When applying the hammer, I found it helpful to lay a piece of wood along the edge I was working on the help ensure an even bend.

They've got you pointed in the right direction here. I used both methods. Bent brackets and also attached aluminum angle to existing seat hardware.