Corrosion and pitting in the transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spropro

Reaction score
I was prepping the front side of the transom plate for painting and noticed some corrosion and pitting. The worst of the pitting is around some bolt holes and appears to be about the size of a nickel and go half way thru the plate. My current plane is to prime and paint the transom plate and have an aluminum frame welded to it bassboy1. Not sure if he plans to cover with a plate or not. My question is should I fill these in with some JB Weld and forget about it or do these areas need to be cut out and a new plate welded in ?

Attachments

• Transom corrosion 001.JPG
    Transom corrosion 001.JPG
    156.1 KB · Views: 464
  • Transom corrosion 003.JPG
    Transom corrosion 003.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 464
If you're taking it to bassboy1 any ways, why not just point it out to him and turn him lose to do a permanent fix the proper way and then you won't have to worry about it a year from now.

JMichael said:
If you're taking it to bassboy1 any ways, why not just point it out to him and turn him lose to do a permanent fix the proper way and then you won't have to worry about it a year from now.

Truer words have never been spoken!

Unfortunately not going to be able sub out like I thought. Put some JB Weld in the worst parts and surprised by how well it has bonded. Only time will tell if its a good fix.