Maximizing Value of Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KansasJon

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I am new to this site and found it googling restoring jon boats. I have been doing a lot of reading and love looking at the project threads.

This is what I have. I have a 16' appleby jon that is 70" wide. It has a 25 hp chrysler. I am torn between trying to sell it for something else or restoring it to keep.

My question to you is
1) What is the approximate value right now?
2) If I sanded it down and painted it would it be worth the extra cost and time if I did decide to sell it?
3) If I was to try and sell it would you put money into it or sell it as it is today?

The more I fish they more I seem to fish small farm ponds that a light 10-12' jon with a trolling motor works the best. This is to big of a boat for farm ponds. When I do fish larger bodies of water we usually use my friends tracker.

I know the motor is a Chrylser so it is not worth much even though it runs really well. The steering is stiff because the cable is aging. The boat is carpeted but is starting to show some wear.

After reading the project threads I am really tempted to restore this thing and keep it. I think with a new paint job it would be a sweet boat. I think you guys maybe are giving me the aluminum boat bug. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG00145-20110527-1927.jpg
    IMG00145-20110527-1927.jpg
    806.2 KB · Views: 414
It looks like a great platform for a project, especially if the motor runs well.

If you were going to sell it, I'd say its not worth your time or money to do anything to it. Anyone buying that boat will be looking for a project anyway and will want to do things their own way.

I'd guess its worth about $1,000 depending on location and all that.

Thank you for your help.

As tempted as I am about stripping it down and putting a coat of paint on it, I think you might be right about letting the next person build it up how they want.

On the other hand, there are some people that are looking for a ready-to-fish/hunt rig. Around here, that boat would get you $800, tops, as it sits. If you stripped the paint, fixed any leaks, repaired any issues, and repainted and left the decking/carpet work pretty basic, it would be a $1,800-$2,000 rig. I sold my last boat for $1,300 because this person didn't want to have to fool with anything. That boat was a plain-jane 1430 flatbottom on a tiny trailer, no decks, no carpet, no electronics, and a 5hp briggs&stratton outboard.

It really all depends on your location. I happen to live in an area where aluminum boats are extremely popular. For some reason the project boats can be had fairly inexpensively. The ready to go tins in nice or like new condition bring a pretty penny. Also, you need to consider the time of the year. A ready to hunt duck boat package will sell for a premium before duck season opens up. Fishing boats are the same way before spring. This is just my opinions. It may give you something to think about though.