1958 Aluminum Sea King title question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pointblankya

Reaction score
My grandfather had bought a piece of lake property about 4 years ago he has owned two houses right next door for over 30 years. There has been a boat sitting on the property as long as he can remember and when he bought the property the man said he could have the boat but at that time the man was very old and on an oxygen tank I believe he has already passed away I could not find any kind of serial number or I guess its a HID? I believe its a 1958 sea king it matches up pretty good with the picture. I called the texas parks and wildlife and she was saying something that the county might take it but I just dont see them driving all the way out here to take a little boat its in rough shape but has potential I mean ive already bought a mercury 25 hp motor trailer lights and before I spend anymore money I want to make sure and get it in my name. Is there anything I should say to the texas parks and wildlife I mean its not stolen that man said we could have it I just dont know what to do I've never owned a boat before. I believe the boat is the 9098 Model for price $475 it had the windshield but got broken.

img06051.png

img06062w.jpg

img06072.jpg

It's pretty common. Here in GA, we would just have a DNR officer inspect it, and they would put a new HIN (hull id number) sticker on it. Basically - they're going to see if they can find any serial or identifying info on the boat and also to see if somebody is claiming it as stolen or missing. If it's been sitting there that long - nobody is missing it likely. A free boat is worth getting it checked out in my mind!

Check with your state about registering a non-registered/non-titled boat and just follow the process. It may take longer, but you can't beat the price of a free boat :)

You may be able to get an abandoned title. P&W will come out and inspect the boat as Vermonster said. I would call P&W and ask them every possible question you can think of and don't put any money into it until you have it registered!

Vermonster, I've spent the last 2 years trying to get a boat registered with DNR in GA. and I bought it new in 1989. Sometimes I wonder about those people. :roll:

Every state has it's own rules & regs and set of hoops they make you jump through and very few are exactly the same. If you'd list your location, maybe someone from your state can give you a better idea of exactly what to expect or how to go about getting it registered.

I totally forgot to post my location I'm in odessa Texas the boat came from Colorado city tx at champion creek lake

Latest posts