JON BOAT FOR SALTWATER

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrose29

Reaction score
I need help!

I"m in the market for a Jon boat. I'm from Miami so i'm looking to fish the flats and shallow areas for snook, tarpon, and snapper.

My questions are:

What kind of motor would fit a 12 ft jon boat best for the type of fishing i want to do?
How sturdy and reliable are jon boats for saltwater?
will the saltwater corrode the boat? (it's aluminum)

THanks for the help!!

15 hp should do fine on that hull. I have a 12x40 flat bottom that runs great with a 15. Aluminum will be fine in saltwater, flush the motor and rinse everything well, let it dry and keep corrosionX red on all parts that may rust and especially around the water jacket on the motor.

Unless you are in VERY protected water I wouldn't get anything less than 14' X 48" . Wider is better for stability . We here on the Texas Gulf coast have to most corrosive salt on the entire Gulf coast . We rinse the boat & flush the motor often. It will last you for years .

Paul Marx said:
Unless you are in VERY protected water I wouldn't get anything less than 14' X 48" . Wider is better for stability . We here on the Texas Gulf coast have to most corrosive salt on the entire Gulf coast . We rinse the boat & flush the motor often. It will last you for years .
Thats a X-2 on that cva34