screw loose

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whistler

Reaction score
How do you keep screws for loosening up. I hesitate to mount anything in or on my boat because screws tend to loosen after a while. It's ritual to keep them tight. I've got a couple of items I'd like to mount but am hesitant due to this problem. I assume some of my problem stems from rough water usage but I'm sure many of you have rough waters to contend with also! Thanks in Advance

I would say loctite also except for it to work you need some threads and running a sheet metal screw through some thin aluminum just doesn't create much in the way of threads. You might want to look in to using some rivet nuts. https://www.rivetsinstock.com/rivet-nuts-threaded-inserts.html?gclid=CPqZzPmh5rUCFQ6xnQodfEIAPQ

i was having the same problem.i'm resigned to carrying a multi bit driver on board and checking them every few trips.its usually the seat bases mounted in the wood floor that loosen.remember,boats flex,and screws loosen.

A touch of 5200 on the screw threads works for me, and it also puts a thin barrier between the aluminum and stainless screws (if you use stainless).

If you can gain access to the back of whatever surface you’re mounting to, use a small fine thread bolt and lock nuts. That’s obviously going to be a little more expensive especially when using stainless but it’s a onetime deal. Secure it and forget about.

Country Dave said:
If you can gain access to the back of whatever surface you’re mounting to, use a small fine thread bolt and lock nuts. That’s obviously going to be a little more expensive especially when using stainless but it’s a onetime deal. Secure it and forget about.

X2 on this!

I've thought about the locknut on the back side and as you guy mentioned that's not always a possibility, but probably the best solution when possible. I guess I don't understand why some loosen and some don't? I worked out of boats for years and on some boat this seemed to be a worse problem than others. May have been the difference between a dealer who knew how to set one up and one that didn't? Just a thought???
Will the 5200 work permanently (until you want to remove the accessory)? I just happened to be at home this morning due to the weather and watched Ship Shape TV. An advertisement came on for a product called Six-10. They were showing it being used for similar applications. Any experience, I think it was sold by West so it may be pretty pricy.

whistler said:
I've thought about the locknut on the back side and as you guy mentioned that's not always a possibility, but probably the best solution when possible. I guess I don't understand why some loosen and some don't? I worked out of boats for years and on some boat this seemed to be a worse problem than others. May have been the difference between a dealer who knew how to set one up and one that didn't? Just a thought???
Will the 5200 work permanently (until you want to remove the accessory)? I just happened to be at home this morning due to the weather and watched Ship Shape TV. An advertisement came on for a product called Six-10. They were showing it being used for similar applications. Any experience, I think it was sold by West so it may be pretty pricy.

When 5200 sets up it’s a bear. 4200 will work well for anything above the water line and it’s not permanent in case you have to remove it.

5200 works for me, i don't use it but 4200 works well too & is way easier to remove

Latest posts