Blue foam board or pink?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingsnhammers

Reaction score
I have two options for foam boards but not sure which to go with. Lowes sells a 3/4" 4'x8' blue foam insulating board. Home Depot sells a pink foam board in both 3/4" 4'x8' and 2" 4'x8'. I want to use one of these as floatation foam inside of my benches. The 2" stuff is $35 per board but I'm sure I will have gaps where the foam will not completely fill the benches. Either of the 3/4" boards are $15 per board and I am sure I could get a more complete fill with them. Would one be better as floatation than the other? Thanks for the help guys.

As long as they are both closed cell, go with whichever gives you the most complete fill. And in terms of flotation, they will be effective only in the event the boat swamps.

Blue is for boys and pink is for sissies. :lol: J/K, it doesn't mater which one you use, the color is just a brand thing. Owens likes their pink insulation.

Someone did a study here a couple years ago. They took a piece of blue and a piece of pink and submerged both of them for X amount of hours and then weighed them. If I remember correctly the blue absorbed a very slight amount of water and the pink didnt absorb any. My memory is a little sketchy though so do a search and read the thread for actual results.

I got the blue. It didn't make sense for me to travel to the nearest Home Depot (45 mile round trip) just to get a few sheets of the pink rigid insulation. 4 sheets of 1/2" will completely fill my benches. I've already got 3 full sheets in the benches now. Thanks for the help.