how far to take it

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmock9

Reaction score
i am getting ready to fix up a boat. not sure about the exact measurements but it is about 14.5 feet long and 4.5- 5 wide. the boat wont get much more use than pond and a little river and impoundment maybe. my question is how far to take the mods. i have a small outboard. have to get a bow TM. how much thrust u think i need. i want a fish finder and depth finder but nothing serious. how much to spend. i also want to put running lights on front and back to make it legal at night. can i just wire them to a battery and a switch. other mods will be fishing decks and seats. has a live will and will put a batter powered air system in it. my question is how serious do i need to get with the wiring. im planning having 2 batteries. one for tm and one for the rest. do i need fuse boxes and swithchs and all the works or for the little that i will use it will just wired to the battery be enough

jmock9 said:
i am getting ready to fix up a boat. not sure about the exact measurements but it is about 14.5 feet long and 4.5- 5 wide. the boat wont get much more use than pond and a little river and impoundment maybe. my question is how far to take the mods. i have a small outboard. have to get a bow TM. how much thrust u think i need. i want a fish finder and depth finder but nothing serious. how much to spend. i also want to put running lights on front and back to make it legal at night. can i just wire them to a battery and a switch. other mods will be fishing decks and seats. has a live will and will put a batter powered air system in it. my question is how serious do i need to get with the wiring. im planning having 2 batteries. one for tm and one for the rest. do i need fuse boxes and swithchs and all the works or for the little that i will use it will just wired to the battery be enough

:WELCOME:

Thanks for joining.

Wow, Lots of questions (I can feel your enthusiasm :D ).

First, Get some pictures if you can of your boat. I think if the members see your boat they can visualize and give you great ideas for your boat.

Then Grab a drink and sit back and go through some of the mods done (If you have not done that yet) on the boats.

You can do a simple setup with floors and seats, or you can go all out with decks, storage, wiring. Your skill is what only holds you back and of course $$$ :LOL2:

Jim

this is what the boat looks like. i plan on putting alumumium rails on side with rivets for deck. the small front deck will be flush with top for motor and depth finder. the deck will be about 2 sections with pedistal chair. it will have 2 storge areas under platform. the rear will have a one section deck extensoion with pedistal chair. i want to put a small chair on the live well top with no pedistal. i want to put carpet down and a deck board on the section behind the live well.

Attachments

• Thumb_overhead-1436LW.jpg
    Thumb_overhead-1436LW.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 1,516
Do as much as your ability will let you, and then do a little more. That way you can learn something. If you screw it up, who cares its yours and you can fix it. The biggest thing is to have fun while your doing it.

As far as the wiring goes, fuses are a must to prevent shorts and what not, but you don't need to get an expensive marine fuse panel, a simple waterproof fuseholder will do just fine. Make your own panel and install some switches for whatever you want to put in there. (lights, live well, bilge). I plan on using a battery disconnect with my project so i can shut off power to the boat when i charge the batteries.

Good luck.

not exactly sure. compared to boat just like it that may be it, i think it is around 600 lbs

Latest posts