Fish On Fabrications custom grab rails! **NEW PICS added**

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parkerdog

Reaction score
I don't know if I want to say "You know you are getting old when you really like this idea" or "I'm like a little kid with a New Toy!"

But anyway I couldn't wait to see what they were going to look like on my boat!

They aren't attached yet, just sitting there. Going to have to get it all the way uncovered and decide where they need to be exactly before drilling some holes.

I think they are going to work great! I wanted them so I could hold onto something when stepping into my boat from the dock. Keep it from moving on that initial step, mainly for safety but I already see it looks like they can do double duty as a place to mount a rod holder when catfishing, tie off an anchor to, or dock line.

If you look closely on the far edge of the lake in the background you can barely see the little skim of ice that formed AGAIN in the night. Too cold to mess around out there today. brrrr.
View attachment 1

I'm glad to see that they finally arrived, after the tracking number couldn't account for 6 days of their transit. :lol:

I can't take credit for the design - Parkerdog came up with the idea of the sliding 3rd leg, which gives a wide range of fitment options. The leg can slide up and down for varying deck to gunwale heights, and can rotate forward and aft, to clear other obstructions. Very simple and functional design.

The tubes were sized to have about .09 of a gap between them. Then, the outer tube was lined with self adhesive UHMW, so it fits very snugly, yet slides smoothly, and even after years of grime and saltwater, the tubes will still be free to slide if they need to be moved to a different spot on the boat.

Dawson

I finally got the boat uncovered and the grab rails installed. I also took some pictures of that and the stern lid that is another Fish on Fabrication built project.

I run out of screws on the third leg of the back rail so that is why they don't match if you notice. I'll take care of that problem the next time I'm in town.

It worked out perfectly on the stern lid. I modified the boat so the trolling motor was in the center and the lock I installed on the motor also does double duty on the lid. It sticks out far enough to keep the lid from opening until you remove it, then the lid opens fine.

Locks are really only for honest people though. If someone wants in there they will get in. This hopefully will keep out the casual looker/kid/ thief.

I also finally put an old seat I had on the seat box so I can try it out and see where I want to install it. (another Fish on Fabrication built item)

View attachment 6
View attachment 5
View attachment 4
View attachment 3
View attachment 2
View attachment 1

What color is that on the rails? I don't know if my computer screen is showing the color correctly, but I'm really liking whatever it is I'm seeing. I've got some parts that would look good on, and will have to see if I can get things powder coated in that color.

bassboy1 said:
What color is that on the rails? I don't know if my computer screen is showing the color correctly, but I'm really liking whatever it is I'm seeing. I've got some parts that would look good on, and will have to see if I can get things powder coated in that color.

It's the rustoleum hammered finish dk gray maybe? I'll look after dinner to be sure.

Went and looked, Rustoleum Hammered. Gray It's almost like a metallic in person.

They have all sorts of techniques in powder coating anymore. I'll bet someone can match it.

I might need to adjust my moniter - looked like it had more color than just hammer tone gray. I might have to see if they could copy what my computer sees, not what the color actually is.... :lol: