water proofing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sgt tee

Reaction score
Its probably been covered here but my search did not bring it out, What are you guys using to waterproof the plywood decking before putting carpet on it, or is this not necessary. I am asking account of I seen what Thompson water seal does to aluminum boats and I don't need that. I don't want to break the bank either. I will be running 3/4 inch outdoor plywood, probably the good on one side stuff. Marine plywood must be pre-ordered here in N.E. Pa. and I cant see paying 80 bucks a sheet for it. I dont have that kind of money, Appreciate all comments, keeping this in mind that there are certain favorite paints members use, but I will listen to everyone and go from there, Thank You.........Pete

Can I just use Varnish on it and then glue my rug?? I guess we need something that will work with the gluing of the rug

I'm tagging along to see what answers you get.

I was going to post the same question and ask what people thought about using Killz?

I painted the inside of a DIY MDF aquarium canopy with Killz about 10 years ago and it shows no signs of wear in that high humidity environment.

I have been researching and trying to decide what I want to do as well. The one point that really struck a chord with me, was when I stopped at a couple marinas and they both said that it was overkill. Carpet will need to be replaced far before the wood, and it's far easier to replace the wood with the carpet rather than scraping and sanding the old carpet adhesive off. My boat is only in the rain if I get caught in it while fishing, otherwise it's in my garage, so I feel safe just using marine plywood and throwing carpet on it.

I got no problem with people jumping in, I also need to know what kind of plywood to use, I have read some where on here not to use treated plywood of anything treated. I see Lowe's or Home Depot Carry's some good plywood. I don't mind springing for 40 bucks a sheet but not 80 bucks. I know where I am at, on the totem pole

Yea I have no room in the garage, My other toys are in there, My 14ft. was in there and it stayed nice, Who knows maybe I will have one of those shelters put up. I will need a good boat cover for a 12ft. The ones I looked at have huge beam measurements. My beam is only 50ins but with the 2 chairs attached I may need the extra material for it to come down and cover

I just read not to use Pine exterior plywood. I can get it in maple for 40 a sheet, but is this necessary and how hard is maple when you are cutting it?? I have the tools but I am no carpenter, I try my best, probably have more tools then some carpenters, and I am an electrician. But I love tools, When buying that rug for the plywood is there a certain type that I can work with, like when I go to cover the wood bow and the seats. I have a electric staple gun but would want something I can bend over the edges without much trouble when I am shaping and tucking the carpet

Called a couple of places by me, Lowe's, Home Depot, and my local lumber yard, No one has exterior plywood, My local lumber yard has it, but its CDX, no good side on it and it is pine. I would have to order what I need. So its looking like I have to special order what I will be using, This is the down side of living out in the boonies

sgt tee said:
Called a couple of places by me, Lowe's, Home Depot, and my local lumber yard, No one has exterior plywood, My local lumber yard has it, but its CDX, no good side on it and it is pine. I would have to order what I need. So its looking like I have to special order what I will be using, This is the down side of living out in the boonies

I had to order in my marine plywood. Took about 2 days for mine to come in. I got it on sale for around $40 each if I recall correctly.

I wish I could pay that for it, Those are 2005 prices, I will sniff around where I am going to buy it, I am in no rush, I have to do things when my body says its OK today

+1 on what Ahab said.

If you do some checking, most of the construction type plywood is made with waterproof glue anymore.

Marine plywood is nothing more than a higher quality surface finish and fewer voids in the middle. AB grade versus CD etc. You can get treated marine as well, but I wouldn't with aluminum.

Captain Ahab said:
I sealed mine with 2 part epoxy - you can use whatever type of plywood you want with that on it

I like 2 part expoxy but I have only used it in small quanities for lumber. How does the cost of expoxy compare with marine plywood?

Having trouble finding 3/4 exterior plywood, heres what I found from the Depot but I need some guidance on what to buy, its going to have carpet on it and its for my aluminum boat. My local yard said he would have to order marine plywood and as I mentioned he said around 80 bucks?? I think thats way out there
https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/Search?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&keyword=exterior+plywood&Ns=None&Ntpr=1&Ntpc=1&selectedCatgry=Search+All

At this point I just want to get the wood and try to get going

I doubt you will need 3/4" - that is really heavy

Again, use a 2 part epoxy and it will seal and waterproof any plywood just fine

I used Overtons

PS - you might consider a lumberyard instead of Home Crappo

Captain Ahab said:

I used Overtons

I will not be standing on the bow so maybe I can get a different size plywood, like 5/8?? I dont know about painting the aluminum, all I know I have seen pictures what it does to the aluminum. I plan on just putting board down under our feet but not the entire floor. Someone told me 3/4in If you think a different thickness will work I am all ears. I would think you need 3/4 in for the flooring???

sgt tee said:
Captain Ahab said:

I used Overtons

I will not be standing on the bow so maybe I can get a different size plywood, like 5/8?? I dont know about painting the aluminum, all I know I have seen pictures what it does to the aluminum. I plan on just putting board down under our feet but not the entire floor. Someone told me 3/4in If you think a different thickness will work I am all ears. I would think you need 3/4 in for the flooring???

I used 1/2" for my flooring with no problem - and my entire boat is decked. All depends on how you are bracing the wood.

I do not understand what you mean by painting the aluminum?

Latest posts