14' MirroCraft Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mossy535

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Well, I just purchased my first boat, a 1966 14' Mirrocraft with console steering. Here are some pictures taken at the home of the guy I purchased it from:

28Apr08-8.jpg

28Apr08-3.jpg

28Apr08-7.jpg

She's powered by a 1966 Johnson 20 hp with electric start, and a 1963 6 hp Mercury "Merc 60" as a backup:

28Apr08-4.jpg

I plan on cleaning up and painting the outboards, along with thoroughly checking them out, but they crank easily and appear to run fine at first glance.

As to the boat, she'll get cleaned up and painted. I'd also like to deck her out but haven't decided on the layout yet. Any and all suggestions are welcome. By the way, capacity is listed as 600 lbs.

I look forward to participating here; it seems to be a terrific group of folks!

Regards,

Mark

Another MirroCraft owner I think you are number 3!

Welcome aboard - I have a 16 ft Mirrocraft with a custom steering console.

We need and all MirroCraft section #-o

Welcome Aboard! Really nice looking boat. Look forward to seeing it when you have it lake ready. I Used to have that same model and year Johnson on a 1952 Lonestar.

Welcome man, Thanks for joining. Great boat you got there. IT needs nothing. If it were mine, I would put a nice small deck in the front, and floor the rest of it. Nice, clean plain and simple. You culd even box the back to hide the gas and batteries....

How is the trolling motor on it?

Jim said:
Welcome man, Thanks for joining. Great boat you got there. IT needs nothing. If it were mine, I would put a nice small deck in the front, and floor the rest of it. Nice, clean plain and simple. You culd even box the back to hide the gas and batteries....

How is the trolling motor on it?

Thanks Jim! The trolling motor runs just fine. It's a Minn Kota, though I forget which model. Since I know next to nothing about such things, is it possible to economically add a foot control or is that something that's best purchased already set up with the trolling motor?

I'm tempted to follow your advice and set up something similar to Gator Tom's rig, except with mine having a steering console:

https://www.shareaproject.com/pages/projectTut,p,345,00.html

6090.jpg

thats the first time ive seen gator toms boat...real nice job

if you can do something like that,it be real nice

Welcome aboard! Nice rig. Can we ask how much you found it for? Also, my first suggestion would be to remove the Dr. Pepper can and replace it with a fresh can of Budweiser! :beer:

tholdah said:
Welcome aboard! Nice rig. Can we ask how much you found it for? Also, my first suggestion would be to remove the Dr. Pepper can and replace it with a fresh can of Budweiser! :beer:

Everything you see in or attached to the boat, and I do mean EVERYTHING, for $600. The owner was asking $800, but I offered $600 and he accepted. I hate when they do that, as it means I should have offered no more than $500! :D

And the Dr. Pepper can has been removed...

Mark

Don't kick your self for that. You might have offered $500.00 and he might have been offended and never gone below $650.00. Besides at $600.00 looks like you got a good deal and the seller was happy as well. win/win

Kinda funny how you are using a merc as "backup" for a Johnson. Usually is the other way around..... :D

You asked about adding a foot control to the the troller, but no, there is no conversion kit. And, although there is a way to do anything, practically speaking, there is no way to convert it.

OK, if GatorTom lends his permission I'm going to try and turn my heap:

28Apr08-8.jpg

into something similar to GatorTom's thing of beauty:

6093.jpg

6091.jpg

6090.jpg

I've decided to go with a forward trolling motor deck that's even with the gunnels from the back of the forward bench to the bow plate. Note that the front seat is only 3/4" or so lower than the gunnels now, and the previous owner had a pedestal mounted on top of that. Therefore I think I'm pretty safe with a deck at the same level.

Then I'll install a lower deck, probably 8" or so lower, from the rear of the forward bench to the front of the console. Rear of that I'll just put in a floor except for a covered area between the rearmost bench and transom to house the fuel tank and associated items.

Discretion being the better part of valor, and this being only a 50" transom vessel (14' length), I don't want to run the risk of getting her top heavy! That's why I really like GatorTom's rig; all the functionality of the decks up front while retaining the benches in the rear.

Now to the questions:

1. I want to retain the console steering, but the cables and pulleys are in need of replacement. They still function, but the outer sheath on the cable is cracked along it's entire length. The pulleys have seen their better days as well. My question is should I stay with the pulley system, or would it be economical to convert to one of the newer steering systems? Keep in mind I'm a complete newbie, so I may be asking something that's elementary. Forgive me if that is the case.

2. I want to set up my seating almost exactly like GatorTom has done. I'd appreciate it if any of you would pass along the info if you know of a good deal on some quality seats. I do have a severely limited budget, but at the same time I don't want to spend $30 per seat on the plastic-framed Bass Pro jobs that have such poor reviews.

3. Knowing that GatorTom's rig is 16', and probably wider than mine, does anyone see any obvious places I may be getting in trouble if I follow his general principles on my rig?

4. For some strange reason I'm considering adding a windscreen to the console. Anyone have any suggestions, or possible design ideas, for accomplishing that?

Thanks,

Mark

Hey Mark,

New the web page not new to boats. Can you take a photo of the front of the motor. I think what I just did to one of my boat will work for you... It also may be a good idea for a stick control on this boat (For more room)... By the way the boat looks like it is in great shape!!!!

FireWater said:
Hey Mark,

New the web page not new to boats. Can you take a photo of the front of the motor. I think what I just did to one of my boat will work for you... It also may be a good idea for a stick control on this boat (For more room)... By the way the boat looks like it is in great shape!!!!

Thanks FW! Here's one pic. If you need more detail I can take one without the seat in the way.

28Apr08-7.jpg

The seat is kinda in the way. What I think you will be looking at is getting a teleflex rack or rotary and cable - that is the easiest way to fit steering to an outboard these days. I can't see if you have a tilt tube on that outboard, that is what I'm hoping you have cause it makes using the newer cables so much easier.

I have a very similar boat that is halfway through a conversion, I'll try to post some pics soon so you can see what I am doing - the plan is similar to yours as well - console, cable steering, forward and middle decks.

Hi WTL,

I don't think I have a tilt tube (not that I really know what that is). Here's a bad pic I took with my camera phone tonight, but maybe it'll help. I can get a good pic tomorrow.

Anyway, this is a simple pull-pull system that attaches to each end of a bracket clamped to the front of the motor. You can see the bracket below, and where one cable attaches in the left-side of the photo. There's an identical attachment on the right side of the bracket that you can't see.

PIC-0018.jpg

Should be a easy fix. Take the old cables to any boat dealer. Are you going to leave the controls at the same location? I think front stick controls would be cool on this boat... I have a game warden friend who has one for the river and it works great when by yourself... It may cost around 200+ $. Just an idea.. Good luck!!!

Latest posts