Question on this steering setup.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morvis

Reaction score
Hello, I've had this boat for a few months now, when I bought it, the guy had the stick steer all taken off and used tiller arm. I like the stick steer better, but something doesn't seem quite right with it. I mounted it the best I could figure out how, but it seems to have a few stress points that makes me think it's not hooked up quite right.

NFP0qBO.jpg

the arm that goes up to the motor to turn it doesn't seem right, it's actually a hair more bent by now, that picture isn't new. And those 'clamps' don't seem to do right. They just hook over the transom tray dilly and it seems real awkward when they're tightened up enough to "hold". I use that term loosely because it does move back and forth a bit and scratching up the aluminum. Anyone have any other ideas bout this?

Really hard to tell anything from that photo

Put up some better pics showing the entire layout and we will find someone who can tell you what is what

I would definitely fix the spot where it is rubbing on the transom, can't have that. I think I see a grease zert on it, so grease that, if not, maybe you could add one or figure out another way to grease it a little.
Maybe put some shims between the transom and steering to fix the rubbing.
Tim

try hooking the piece with the clamps on to the motor. Try to find a picture of an older 10 hp or under to see how it goes together. A picture of a motor with a steering wheel will be hooked up the same.

Ok thanks yea I've greased it already. There are some holes in the clamps where you turn to tighten the engine to the transom but one's broken and the hook doesn't fit in the hole that's complete anyway. I've tried using google image search but haven't been able to find any pictures of that particular area yet. I'll do some more digging and looking over the mount area again.

Thanks

Here are a few more
https://imgur.com/kKgrENW,AkMIYeB,Brn2wKW#0

There should be a rail on the motor where the tiller arm used to mount. That is where you where you want to mount the tube. If that is no longer there you may have to fabricate a mount above where the motor clamps are. I have similar system that is not complete on an old chrysler 10 I was given for parts. I would post a pic. but do not have a camera. The part that moves left and right should not be where it is it should be on the motor.

everytime i see one of these things it looks different. The mounting brackets just don't look right at all in this position. is it possible this is supposed to mount thru the 2 holes under the motor?
seems those brackets are shaped to grab the block they are attached thru and the nuts screw on from outside the transom?

^^uneducated guess, take it with a grain of saltwater.

cool thanks guys i'll see what i can figure out on it. Motor mounted seems more likely because not all boats have that little transom tray I assume.

Allright well i figured out, the hooks go behind the motor clamp arm and the block goes up against just above the motor clamp handles and it clamps the piston tube dilly there.

Steers and engine flips up so much better now =)

Latest posts