Sealing bottom of Vhull ????

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bass427

Reaction score
Gotta aluminum Starcraft Vhull here. Seen some people use gluv-it etc on interior of boat to seal. Is this necessary before painting the inside before building inside? It doesn't seem to leak at any of the rivets though I will make sure before I begin to paint. Also what kind of prep work must be done. I bought rustoleum spray paint and primer.

Thanks!!!

I've got a starcraft also. Welcome to the club...

You've gotta strip it down to the bare aluminum. Use aircraft stripper. Then you have to rough up the aluminum somehow, I used a wire brush on my drill and it seemed to work. Sanding works too. After that, clean with mineral spirits or something similar. Now your ready for the gluvit.

Gluvit it is pretty thick, almost like honey. I would use it in batches instead of all at once. I just painted it on the rivets, let it dry for a couple days, then primed/painted the rest of the inside of my boat.

Hope that helps.

The seams leak a little when I filled boat up with water. No rivets leaked just couple spots at the seams on the side. Will gluv-it be enough to stop these small leaks?

Latest posts