Removable Casting Deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WMcGrath

Reaction score
I've rattling off ideas for my current project and one thing I keep thinking about is the front casting deck. Right now the boat has 4 benches and its a semi v. My original plan was to take them all out and set it up as a typical bass boat with a casting deck on both the bow and stern and a low deck in the middle. Now I'm thinking of making the front casting removable and keeping the benches underneath it. my reasons for this would be the lack of stability/comfort when I have more people in the boat. I haven't come across any projects on here that have included a removable deck. Does anyone know of any I might be able to reference? does the fact that I can't find any on here mean its a bad idea? Any ideas? If you want to see what I'm working with I have a link in my signature. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.

I guess you could say my deck is removable, I left the seats in and framed between the two front seats (@seat height) Then put 1/2 in. plywood on top screwed to the frame only. Just by removing the few screws I can take it all out in less than a half hour. No holes in the boat at all. I have a 16ft Mod-V. Sorry I don't have any pictures I can post but I think it came out good.

I've thought about this a little. Might could use rivets nuts. Build the deck and frame as one peice and install a few rivet nuts on your benches to hold it down. When you want to remove it, just unscrew a few bolts.

The space between the bow and 1st bench looks kinda small and If the bow and next seat are level w each other, you might be able to just use a 3/4 or 1" piece of plywood w 2x4 braces boxed underneath to hold it tight against the edge of the feont and bench seat, as a drop in unit w/o screwing it down. If the plywood overlaped the seats 6 or 8" or all the way accross the bench seat, it would probly be strong and stable enough w/o being fastened down unless your a big heavy person. We made a similar removeable deck for dads GW w a walkthrough windshield out of 2 treated 2x6s layed flat, and cheap treated decking boards for the top. It is a fiberglass boat and the deck is heavy, but still works fine 20 yrs later.

My front deck sits on the OEM benches and is removable with 3 screws.

Link to build in my signature line.

My deck is removable. It doesn't span two benches, but rests on a curved, cut 2x6 block at the front of the bow. The deck is also only half a bench high, so maybe 4-6" off the actual floor of the boat, but more than enough to give a much larger working area (roughly 4'x3.5' tapering to the bow).

The wooden support is shaped like an "A", where the apex goes onto a block that's supported along the curve of bow, and the rear is supported by two "U" shaped brackets that hold the rear 2x3 up against the bench's side. The floor was then screwed to these supports, and the whole thing is held in place by it's own weight, the bracket at the bench, and a cut down 5gal bucket that holds the anchor at the bow. Total weight is about 50#, and I can lift it into or out of the boat as necessary. This summer it's coming out again, to try something different....

My decks are removable.I believe 6 screws hold each one down, but the bracing will still be there. Technically it's all removable, just maybe not practical.