Painting Floor/Decks

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JGibson

Reaction score
I'm was thinking about instead of Carpeting my decks & floor, painting them with sand mixed in for texture. I was just wondering if anyone else has done this and what would be the correct way to do it if there is one. My thought was to mix the sand into the paint and apply it then go back over it with a few more coats of paint without sand. Thoughts?

Yep! I sealed the deck first. You can either mix the texture with the paint (stirring frequently) or sprinkle it over the wet paint then hit with a second coat. I fond that if I won't be using all of the paint, it is better to use the sprinkle method. HD and Lowes both sell a texture that works fine (pumice , I believe).

I'm planning on using this https://www.softsandrubber.com/

I was originally going to go with Grizzly Grip, but after getting samples of both the soft sand is comparable to Grizzly Grip and about $140 less for my application.

rickybobbybend said:
Yep! I sealed the deck first. You can either mix the texture with the paint (stirring frequently) or sprinkle it over the wet paint then hit with a second coat. I fond that if I won't be using all of the paint, it is better to use the sprinkle method. HD and Lowes both sell a texture that works fine (pumice , I believe).

I also did this, seems to work! I used a different container to mix some of the paint and pumice; that way I only had what I needed for the deck and the rest could be used for touchup on the rest of the interior. If I had it to do over again, I'd sprinkle it on the first coat, and then go over it with a second coat. It has been mentioned on here not to use regular sand.

JGibson said:
Silica sand? That's what I read about to use. What are you sealing with?
For surface texture I have used both an industrial grit product and pumice grit from HD. Both worked just fine. I have never tried silica sand, but the pumice is readily available, cheap, works well and comes in small quantities. To seal the underlying ply I used 3 coats of spar varnish.

Latest posts