12ft jon boat broke floor rails

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron1968

Reaction score
I,m new to the boating world. I,m in the process of purchasing a 12ft jon boat dirt cheap. The problem with the boat is, two of the brace rails that run across the bottom of boat on the inside are broke in the middle of them. looks like someone tried jb weld to repair them without success. Can this be repaired without welding? I was thinking of running 1x3 along the width of these rails and 1x3 from front of boat torear of boat on both sides and the middle and lay 1/4 plywood on top and screw fast to the 1x3, then put outdoor carpet over plywood, Is this a good idea or am i asking for more troubles? The other 2 issues are, the middle seat the rivets are ribbed outta seat on left side and the transom wood is gone off the back. Can all this be repaired without costing me an arm and leg? Is it all worth the trouble?

Do you have pictures? That would help us get a better idea what is wrong and actual damage.

Does the boat leak?

sorry i have no pics. the boat does not leak. the bottom is real unstable do to the 2 broken floor rails. The guy is giving me a good deal on it at 75 bucks but she looks real rough and the aluminum is real thin. It,s my first boat on my low budget, I,m just hopin to buy the thing till I can afford better.

I,m looking forward to gettin out in this thing with my 5 yr old grandson, but I wanna be sure she is sea worthy and safe

Everything you mentioned sounds repairable. Transoms are fairly inexpensive but can be difficult to get to on some boats. The broken ribs could be welded or for a cheap fix, cut a couple pieces of aluminum angle the width of the floor amd rivet one on both sides of the broken ribs. Again pics will be helpful but it sounds fixable to me. Id also offer less since its not currently sea worthy. 50 bucks soumds lile a better deal to me. Never hurts to ask!!

thanks for all the info really appreciate it. can you put sub floors in these things or is that asking for trouble?

ron1968 said:
thanks for all the info really appreciate it. can you put sub floors in these things or is that asking for trouble?

You could. Look in the modifications forum. There are tons of threads in there to give you ideas.

Latest posts