Is this the best choice regarding strength?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamconant

Reaction score
Hi all.

Finally, after building me a new workshop, buying a big TIG welder etc. I was ready to start building a boat. Sent out quotations to a number of 6082 aluminum suppliers for 5083 plate, and 6061T6 extrusions. 5083 was no problem to obtain, but 6061T6 is not available here in Sweden (or in Europe...) :banghead: . I was recommended to choose 6082T6 instead. It will be used for transverse frames, longitudinal stringers, floor support, gunwales etc. Is this the best choice, regarding strength, welding and corrosion issues?

I know there are some high skilled aluminium welders, and alloy boat builders, here on AAB, so I really could use some opinions in this matter.

Captain Ahab said:
What is AAB?

Aluminumalloyboats.com. A site similar in nature to tinboats.net, but with a focus on larger (20 - 30') plate aluminum craft.

This thread is an exact copy and paste from a post on AAB back in '10.

https://aluminumalloyboats.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2859

My understanding is that 6061 and 6082 are very, very similar in most regards. 6061 is very available on this side of the pond, but in the UK, 6082 is used in it's place.