Waco 12 ft. Start...till Finish

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waco

Reaction score
I'm another new member. I came across this site actually by accident and I thought it was the sweetest thing I ever saw. Who would have thought there would be a site dedicated to tin boats.lol. This is awesome, I give the site a A+. It has even motivated me to start working on my boat. I have a Waco 12 ft. flat bottom. I plan on completely redoing it with paint, seats, decks, carpet, you name it I am going to attempt to do a complete modification. I have already started sanding on it and I would like to add some pics. But, I cant figure it out it says that the extension bmp is not allowed and Im not sure how to change it. If anyone can help me out with this I'll get the pics posted asap and I will try to record my progress along the way. Thanks Alot Yall....

:WELCOME: This is a very great site!

I look forward to the progress on your boat!
But, i would wath out putting decks on it though! It all depands on the width of the bottom. If the width is 32 then you should definately deck to the top of the seat or you will go for a swim. I have a 1432 and i built a sunk-in deck. By all means do whatever you want to do to the boat, but i'm just giving you some advice. And to tell you the truth a sunk in deck isn't comfortable to some because they don't have good sea-legs. Here's somthing you can do to test it and see how high you want to deck it. Put your boat out on the water and stand on top of the seats and walk from one side to the other. You will see how unstable it is. But it's really all about the center of gravity. Putting high decks on a boat with a 32 inch bottom is like trying to stand up in a canoe and fish, ain't happenin. On my boat i actually put my deck too high so it's not to stable unless you move slow.

This is what i did:

paintball006.jpg

Welcome aboard Waco!

Thanks for joining.

For the picture....Open it up in paint and then "Save As" a .jpg that should do it.

The pictures also have to be no wider than 800 and the size under 150k. If you get stuck with anything, PM me and I can try to help.

Waco 12 ft. with home made trailor....jpg
Side Pic.jpg
Inside.jpg
Another Inside Pic.jpg
Bow Inside.jpg
Transom.jpg

Thanks to everyone for looking at the pics I am almost done sanding on the boat and work is coming along pretty good. It's pretty and shiny right now almost looks like chrome!!! LOL. Anyway, Tyler_W. Man I have been contemplating on where and how how to put the front and rear deck and was thinkin of doing a sunken type. Because I know better than to put a deck flat across the top of the front seat, thats a disaster waiting to happen. But, my boat is 36" instead of 32", Thats not a big difference but a couple more inches boosts everyones self-esteem. By the way your boat looks really nice man. I can't tell what color it is, I was thinking of painting mine black to match my truck and my other boat, yours kinda looks black. Oh yeah by the way where did you get the trolling motor mount I've been trying to think of how I was gonna make one similar to that but couldn't quite grasp it?

I got somebody to make it for me. Give me till tonight and i'll get you the plans on how i did it

Thanks Tyler, you have any suggestions on how tall I should make my deck since my boat is 36 inches. Do you think it should be lower than the one that you have in your boat?.....

You should feel very comfortable with it being the heigth of mine. Just make it about4-6(whatever you want) below the top of the seat. But make sure you son't go get a hige pedestal or you will be defeating the purpose lol

Waco said:
I'm another new member. I came across this site actually by accident and I thought it was the sweetest thing I ever saw. Who would have thought there would be a site dedicated to tin boats.lol. This is awesome, I give the site a A+. It has even motivated me to start working on my boat. I have a Waco 12 ft. flat bottom. I plan on completely redoing it with paint, seats, decks, carpet, you name it I am going to attempt to do a complete modification. I have already started sanding on it and I would like to add some pics. But, I cant figure it out it says that the extension bmp is not allowed and Im not sure how to change it. If anyone can help me out with this I'll get the pics posted asap and I will try to record my progress along the way. Thanks Alot Yall....

Welcome Aboard!

check this one out https://www.bassresource.com/bass_fishing_forums/YaBB.pl?num=1119359773/0#0

Hey Guys, I've making some pretty good progress. Got the boat completely sanded down and I mean completely. It is straight bare metal to metal. I advise anyone playing to go metal to metal and using some type of sander to jump off a cliff!!! There was a lot of man hours involved in make my boat straight aluminum, I mean a lot. I started out using a sanding block with course paper. Made about 3 passes chunked it in the dumpster. Then I thought I would try the power drill approach with a wire bruch type attachment, and believe it or not the thing came in very handy but wasn't great on wide open spaces. But, for getting around rivets and curves it is awesome, even takes up old carpet glue in a flash.
Process was going slow so decided to pull out the grinder, yes I said grinder. Anybody planning on doing this with a grinder needs about 18 kids, that way they know patience. I actually used a variable speed grinder on as low as it would go and used a wheel with medium grit aluminum oxide paper in layers. Here are the results...
The inside and outside of the boat look this way, shoulda took some pics close up of the rivets so you could see how well the drill worked. Thanks Yall

Attachments

• Shiny.....jpg
    Shiny.....jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 1,627
GatorTom said:
Don't put bedliner on the bottom of a boat like LBH did over on BR. I believe he said that it peeled off.

yes he did say the paint peeled off, but the rest is a nice job