Feeding wire through tubing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt Creed

Reaction score
I know that this should go in the trailer section, but I figured I'd get more responses here.

I have a trailer made completely out of tubing. It didn't have any wiring in it when I got it, and now I'm facing the issue of feeding wire through. I've tried everything, but it seems like there's something solid in there that is stopping it. I tried feeding it with an extension cord. I tried clearing it out with a hose, but whatever is in there isn't moving.

Any ideas on running wire on the outside of tubing?

Could always just use cable ties and tie them to the tubing. I'd get something like this to run the wire on the outside

1365895679-14475-13_zpsd9f4368c.jpg

if you run the wire externally. you could either ziptie it directly to the tubes.. or use something like this along with wire loom. and screw or rivet it to the tube.. i used similar ones inside my boat riveted into the ribs to keep the bulk of my wiring running from rear to front of boat. keep everything organized

032076072629lg.jpg

Try a shop vac pulling string with a plastic shopping bag tied to it. Then use the string to pull the wire through. Have to seal vac side w tape or rags.

Have you tried a fish tape? I needed to use one to run my wires. It is stiff enough to push through, won't bend and fold up on itself.
https://electrical.about.com/od/electricaltools/a/fishtape.htm

This can be frustrating for sure. However you get it solved, consider including a pull wire along with the functional wires. That way the NEXT time you have to run a wire you can just pull it through the space, conduit, channel, etc. Replace the pull wire eery time you use it.

I've used extension chord and can get it fed about halfway down each side. It seems like there is something very solid there. It's almost like the tubing ends, but it is a single section. I'm thinking of running coduit on the outside of the tubing and painting it to match the trailer. You'd never notice unless you looked on the backside of the tubing. What would be the best way to attach said conduit without risking interrupting my wire?

if you're going that route, use a standard pipe strap. buy the thinner cheap ones so that you can bend the flat part of them to fit around the curve of the trailer tubes. they are usually galvanized.
images

NaturalLaw said:
if you're going that route, use a standard pipe strap. buy the thinner cheap ones so that you can bend the flat part of them to fit around the curve of the trailer tubes. they are usually galvanized.
images
These are also available in a single sided style, may be easier to mount. Only one hole to drill.

I ran into a similar problem when I rewired mine last year. What I found was I had to remove any bolts that went thru the tubing that bolt my fenders and guides on. I am glad the weather was cool when I did this because the wire I ran thru to pull the electric wires brought out a couple active wasp nests and they were not happy.

The tongue of my trailer was 1 long mouse nest. I used a stick of 1/2" electrical conduit and an air compressor to clear it out.

Figured id share that I finally got the wire through. I taped a coat hanger to an old extension cord, fed it in, lifted the trailer vertical, fed it down, and then used it to get the light wiring through. **** that was some work.

Matt Creed said:
Figured id share that I finally got the wire through. I taped a coat hanger to an old extension cord, fed it in, lifted the trailer vertical, fed it down, and then used it to get the light wiring through. **** that was some work.

lol. I bet the photo was worth the $10 you could have bought a cable snake with.

kryptonica said:
Matt Creed said:

lol. I bet the photo was worth the $10 you could have bought a cable snake with.

Free old extension cord > $10 cable snake