New Alumacraft very soon. V14, or MV 1448

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wood_Duck

Reaction score
Theres about $700 difference in the two, with the V14 being higher but that's not a deal breaker. I think the V14 is a gorgeous looking little boat and I like the split rear bench. Deep v would be helpful when on the lake but I still like the MV 1448 as well and it might be abit better for the rivers. If I get the V14 the plan is probably a couple storage hatches on the middle bench to get life jackets and such out of the way and I'd like to see if a just encase box could be made to fit between the middle seat and the bow seat to make a casting deck. Also I'd need a good solid and tasteful way to mount a V2 on the bow. If I go with the 1448 it shows that to be an option(trolling mtr bracket), already has a small deck although I'd want to extend it, and can even get a side console. I've got a 7.5merc tiller to use until next spring when I'd buy a brand new yammie, but my dad's an outboard mechanic and might have some other motors I could scrounge up. What's your thoughts between the two boats?

Welcome Wood_Duck to the forum. I have both boats. One is my first boat witch is a 14' Lone Star V bottom and the other is a 14' Alumacraft 14X48 MV jon boat. Both boat are well made and I have enjoyed them both over the years. I do have a preference though and that is the Alumacraft jon boat. I like to duck hunt and trot-line for cat fish. It is more stable than the V bottom and safer(IMO) than the V bottom. Both boats have 18hp OMC motors(Johnson/Evinrude) on them. The V bottom will take rougher water but if it gets that rough I need to be off the lake or river anyway. Just make sure that when you buy, you choose a good quality boat.
And as far as the side console, again in my opinion, is a waist of space and money.
As far as motors are concerned, 9.9hp to 25hp would be sufficient I have had 9.9hp thru 18hp on mine and was very well pleased with all of them.

Attachments

• 3Gd3Jd3H25I85G45F3d4b573f107c973e1d2e.jpg
    3Gd3Jd3H25I85G45F3d4b573f107c973e1d2e.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,292
  • MV-1648.jpg
    MV-1648.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 2,292
Well I was thinking if the MV 1448, I'd get the NCS. And one thought with the console is if I could dig up an 18-20ish hp Merc or similar at dads, then I could slap a jet on it a little later. I'd probably lean more towards stability because I'd prefer not to swamp one when handling a musky boatside and I'd be standing to one side quite abit for figure 8s. Also any thoughts what a shop might charge to make a maybe 3ft deck extension on one of those MVs? If I did that, Id figured on getting a small fuel tank and mounting it under the front deck to help with weight distribution and deck space.

If you are going to be in rivers and such .... get the MV. You'll be thrilled.

I think you could get a nice aluminum deck extension installed for less than $500.

I was quoted closer to $1000 for the deck extension on my alumacraft mv1648. I would get the MV if you are on smaller lakes and rivers. congratulations in advance!

Well I found out adding the side console adds about $900 so I guess it'd be a lot better to do without and add my own. Heres a question though. What transom height would the 1448 require? My current motor I have to run is a short shaft. Also the other motor I have that I can jet is short shaft. Would that work with a small jackplate or would it need the 20" to get the extra height for the jetted short shaft? Also I can save about $200 with the regular 1448 NCS, so that's another option. Not sure how much difference I'd see in the MV and the square nose though.

from what I've seen of jet lowers, they look about equal with the cavitation plate. So, I think you'll be served with the 15" transom since you have short shafts. i thought jack plates raise up the motor but i guess an expensive one would be adjustable to lower it. and i think the high transom is for following seas so you dont take it over the stern as much. if you aren't in a bay or big river, i don't see a huge advantage.

Well I think I'm going to go with the 1448 NCS. I'll probably add a console myself. Gonna see about a small tank to mount up under the front deck with a filler neck to help with weight distribution. Might even go with some flotation pods. Hopefully I can find a used jet pump to fit it to help with costs. Jet pump will cost 4 times what my motor will.

Dear BrazosDon,

Your Lonestar looks very similar to my 14ft 6in Lonestar. I do not know the year or model. If your boat is 14ft 6in, what model and year is your boat? The closest I have been able to find for my boat model is possibly a Commander.

Thanks,

Terry Sandlin

Terry, it could very well be your boat because I used a picture off the internet for an example of my boat. I do not know the year model but I was told it was a commander. I just googled images " lonestar jon boats" and all these pictures came up and I just picked one. I could not take a photo of my boat because it would be too X rated for this forum. :LOL2:

Latest posts