Hey all new here but need some help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Thanks all for having me here and in the near future i plan to post pics of soon to be 14ft restoration.
Anyway, right now i have a 14 ft starcraft v-hull and no matter what i have tried, whenever this a wind i find it difficult to keep this boat straight in the water. I am by myself most of the time, and run the boat from the stern as i have only a transom mt. trolling motor. (no gas motor at all), how can i correct this problem? I do plan on putting a front deck on with a bow mount motor. Will this help stablize the steering problem that i have or is there something else i can do. Thanks any help or info is really appreciated.

I had the same problem with my original 14' Meyer boat. In the end, the bow mount TM made the difference. You have two options: 1) build in a full deck and use a cable drive TM; 2) Look into an electric steer TM which comes with a longer wire.

I kept an eye out and found an old Minn Kota Powerdrive on Craigslist a while ago. It was a clamp mount and made all of the difference. I was able to run it from any where in the boat.

The newer versions would require some kind of a bracket to mount, but it should be easier to make than adding a full deck.

Good luck!

Until you find that bow mount motor, try adding some weight (sandbags, etc.) to the front of the boat to help hold it down. That will make it more steerable in the wind.

Yea, it's sort of like a weather vane. The lightest end of the boat is the one that gets pushed down wind. So you'll need to make the front of the boat as heavy as the rear (add weight or passenger up front) or change your setup so it's pulling power at the front instead of pushing power at the rear.

I have a 1974, 14' Starcraft. It weighs 180# and until I decked it I carried a 70# sandbag, 15# anchor and a spare tire for the trailer in the bow of the boat. It made a world of difference.

Thanks everyone for the info. I am 6'1" 242 lbs so whenever i put anyone in front it helped a little but not too much..(all my kids and wife are alot lighter :roll: than me). So what i will do this week is take the boat out stand in front and figure out how low the bow will ride with me a deck and bow mt tm. then i can find the weight to put in the rear such as battery,gear etc: i'll also try to start adding pics from this venture. Thanks all

Latest posts