Holes to fix

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRyno10

Reaction score
Today i bought a new to me 12ft monark. It has 2 holes and a crack that will need to be fixed and I'm not sure how I should tackle it. I have seen many different ways by looking through the forum and I was hoping for some input.

that glowing thing is the hole. and there is another just like it.. id say maybe the size of a pencil give or take.

here is the crack - at most 1 inch long

looking forward for some input, thanks in advance.

The first thing I would do is get a wire wheel in there and clean everything up. It looks as though there is some old epoxy or JB Weld residue still hanging around. Grind or scrape the area until only bare aluminum is visible. Once you know what you are dealing with, then you can make the most informed decision on how to repair the damaged areas. Depending on the size of the holes/crack, I would opt to have my local welder run a bead across it to fill the void. Shouldn't charge more than $40 or $50 bucks for that small of a job. If he does it right, you'll never have to worry about it again. Good luck!

Appreciate the response, I think i may check that out. For now since I already had JB Weld, I went ahead and JB welded both the crack and hole and am waiting for it to cure. Any opinions on if the JB Weld should hold?

The JB Weld should hold, but if it starts to leak again then you should get it permanently welded. One thing to keep in mind is that it would be easy to weld now because the boat is relatively empty in it's current state. If you do a full build on the boat, and then it starts to leak in the future, you may have problems getting a welder into those problem areas. Once you start adding casting decks and storage bins/hatches, things can get a little crowded. Just something to consider. Good luck.

Marine 5200 sealant may be a better choice than JB Weld. The sealant is stronger and flexes.