Seat Install Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

colt45

Reaction score
Hi everyone, really like the website.

I have a 1448 lowe and am considering installing a seat on my back bench.

I've seen pictures where people install seats to plywood then install the plywood on top of the aluminum bench seat.

My questions are:
1. How do you install the plywood to the bench? Self-tapping screws? Is the plain aluminum bench enough to support this? In my mind, the screws would widen the holes overtime and become unstable, just like installing the seat directly to the thin aluminum.

2. So say you bolt the seat to the wood, wouldn't the bolts protrude on the bottom of the wood, making the wood surface uneven to then install on the bench?

My perception of how this works may be totally incorrect; here is a picture of what I basically have in mind other than using a pedestal.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367342834.725689.jpg

Welocome aboard colt.

Check out our site sponsor SLIDER G5 before you decide what you do. I think you may like what they have as an option.

If you decide to go with the plywood on the seat idea, I'd use toggle bolts.

Brine said:
Welocome aboard colt.

Check out our site sponsor SLIDER G5 before you decide what you do. I think you may like what they have as an option.

If you decide to go with the plywood on the seat idea, I'd use toggle bolts.

Thanks brine, that is a slick way to do it.

I guess again, screwing into the thin aluminum, it tends to hold over time?

I think there's something to be said about the type of screw, how it was applied, where it is applied, and how many are applied. If you have several screws spread out to share the load evenly, I'm sure it's better than having just a few. Thus, the more the better I'm guessing. Personally, I don't think I'd use a screw on a bench ever. I'd either use rivets, or as previously mentioned..... toggle bolts. Bolts and washers, or using a metal backer are also an option if you don't mind cutting out access holes on the side of the bench to get at them. I don't think it's worth the trouble. I'd have no concerns using toggle bolts, and very little using rivets if the number and spacing are correct.

Latest posts