Sliding seat for boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigchromedog

Reaction score
After fishing out of my rig many, many, many times, especially with my family in the back of the boat. I noticed that we sat slightly unbalanced and it was uncomfortable. I realized I needed to be able to make the rear seat move to be able to balance the boat. But I needed to be on the starboard side a little more to steer the tiller steer outboard I have. Well, after doing some research, this is what I came up with. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to ask. I learned so much here, just want to pass anything along that may help someone else out down the road.

I really should of taken more pictures when I did it, lol.
What I did was purchase and inexpensive, small car seat slider. You know the mechanism that slides your car seat forward and backwards. My buddy suggested a riding lawnmower seat adjuster, but I happen to come across this one for fairly cheap (about $30 USD I think).
I got is all measured out and figured out and then went to work.
I used 3/4 plywood that I sealed, 14x15 pieces I think, and carpeted.
Took two 2x2's and ran them the length of each base plate (left to right).
I notched out both 2x2's so I could put a 1x2 across (front to back) for extra bracing.
Put a standard 7" swivel seat base on and marked the holes.
Then I clamped everything together to drill holes for the bolts.
4 holes for the seat base. Through the seat base, 3/4" plywood and 1x2's.
4 holes in each corner through 3/4" plywood and 2x2's. They match up with hole on top of seat slider.
Everything is carpeted and ready at this point.
I put a bolt through the 3/4" plywood, 2x2's and bolt to top of seat base slider. All four corners.
Then I mount the seat to the swivel base, then mount to base. It was a little tricky and took a few minutes because of tight space. But patience is all it took
At this point, the whole seat base is attached to the sliders.
Now I just slide the base where I want it. Mark the holes and drill through my seat top and put toggle bolts down through the hole and tightened everything up. Took a little to be precise, but it worked like a dream.

Yes, I thought that as well. Heck, you could check out riding lawnmower seat adjusters. I went with the first thing I came across that had the width I was looking for.

Latest posts