1989 LOWE 1242 River-J

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surveywaters

Reaction score
Why do river boats have the two blocks between the stern and rear bench? Is it simply for additional flotation? Can I safely remove these or are they also required transom support? I would like room for more than just the fuel tank behind me.

Do you mean boxes like the one behind the rear seat in this boat?

sport-fishing-boat-jon-boat-20021-346477.jpg

If so, yes they are designed to add additional flotation and also add transom support.

But that doesn't mean you can't remove them. It all depends on your boat, how you plan to use and power it, and how comfortable you are with cutting away stuff.

I've got a 6hp going on it, I am fine with drilling out rivets and installing new to seal the holes. My intention is to deck over the rear bench all the way to the stern to cover the fuel tank from UV's and provide extra storage. Naturally this will be well vented to avoid dangerous fuel vapor build up.

surveywaters said:
I've got a 6hp going on it, I am fine with drilling out rivets and installing new to seal the holes. My intention is to deck over the rear bench all the way to the stern to cover the fuel tank from UV's and provide extra storage. Naturally this will be well vented to avoid dangerous fuel vapor build up.

I think you'll be fine .... as long as you are OK with losing the flotation. Personally I'd be fine with it, but everyone has to make their own decision.

Latest posts