Grizzly or Topper

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saggyman

Reaction score
I'm looking at the 1448 grizzly for two people to stand in but the price is a little high for me. The 1542 topper looks nice as well and the price makes sense :)

What do yall think or recommend? Will the topper work well?

What kind of water will you mostly be in and what are your main activities for the boat? If more open water or harder use, you would be better served with the Grizzly. For smaller water and lighter use, the Topper would do you fine. Personally, If I could swing for the Grizzly, that's what I would get. It has quite a bit more room and will retain more value.

I think the extra 6" of width will add a lot of stability. Of course the size and weight of the people involved have to enter into the equation.

I realize if you are shopping new there is a great deal of difference in the price but security and safety are often worth more than money.

Really just depends on the type of water you will be fishing. The Grizzly will probably take a lot more abuse than the topper. I have the Topper 1542 and an Alumacraft 1648 bass boat. The topper is much more stable between the two!!!! I beat on my topper pretty hard in the tree filled lake I fish locally and it is still great after 3 years. Rocks will be the main enemy for the topper with the thinner hull and less ribbing structure. I looked at both when I bought my Topper and just could not justify the price of the Grizzly for my use plus they are very heavy beast even compared to other similar name brand competition.

There may be other options out there. Check out the Lowe 1448.
The Grizzley is a very nice boat, depends on what you want. I like the stability of a wider bottom.

overboard said:
There may be other options out there. Check out the Lowe 1448.
The Grizzley is a very nice boat, depends on what you want. I like the stability of a wider bottom.

The Lowe is lacking in features compared to a Grizzly. The Grizzly look's nice but it a big investment.

I had a grizzly 1448 at one point. It's a tough boat but unless your primary use is hunting you would be better to go with the topper. The problem I had with the grizzly is that it is HEAVY! It weighs in at 438 pounds so you will need a solid 15 hp motor just to get it going solo. Put two big guys plus gear on there and you won't even plane without a 25 hp.

Personally I like my Valco deep V better than my griz. With two guys and gear it weighs less than just me with no gear on the 1448.

I can grab a G3 1448 WSOF but I will need to build decks.

What do you guys think of that boat?

https://www.g3boats.com/uploads/sites/4/G3BoatsShowroom/model/332/1448_wsof.jpg

Latest posts