How did all of you cut your floor to fit in your V hull boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jib2

Reaction score
How did you make a pattern? What did you use? How did you draw it out? I'm not sure how to accomplish this? Suggestions would be very helpful.

I'd start with some big azz cardboard boxes or as large as you can get and figure out how many sections you'll do the floor in and t then start to make a pattern out of the cardboard. Lots of stores trash their boxes or even perhaps some wardrobe boxes from Uhaul, just buy a few and open them up.

Use card board or a tape measure and some cheap wood you can use to make a template. I made mine in two sections because you could not cut one sheet to make it work out right.

With enough measuring and using correct methods you should be able to layout the shape with a 6 foot flexible straight edge on cardboard. Test fit it and then transfer that to the wood. Made mine in 1 try. No trimming required. Used a single 4'x8' sheet for 2/3 of the floor, the rest was my casting deck.

i went to a storage place,bought the biggest box they had,opened it up and layed it across the top of my boat and traced the hull shape from underneath then cut out the shape and sliced the template down the middle and slid it together to fit the shape of my boat and trimmed it down.it fit perfectly to within a quarter inch to account for carpet thickness.i had to trace the template over 2 4x8 plywood sheets because my boat is too wide so my deck is actually 2 sheets butted together.it made it easy to make the center hatches though. :D

I measured the width at the rear and used a stiff wire to bend into the shape of the hull. I marked the Measured width on my plywood and then laid the wire down and traced it onto the plywood. I made a back cut so as to not have a gap where the plywood meets the hull. I wanted one piece of plywood for my floor, but it wouldn't lay down due to the lip in the seats so I had to cut it in half to get it down. I hated that. Then I had to brace it from the back side to put the strength back that a solid piece would have had
Boat 25 Apr 2013 -- 3.jpg
Boat 25 Apr 2013 -- 2.jpg

bcbouy said:
i went to a storage place,bought the biggest box they had,opened it up and layed it across the top of my boat and traced the hull shape from underneath then cut out the shape and sliced the template down the middle and slid it together to fit the shape of my boat and trimmed it down.it fit perfectly to within a quarter inch to account for carpet thickness.i had to trace the template over 2 2x8 plywood sheets because my boat is too wide so my deck is actually 2 sheets butted together.it made it easy to make the center hatches though. :D

That is an awesome idea!

What I did was first put in a simple frame of 2x2's and I put it in place, then I cut out strips of cardboard and every 4-6" I would lay the strip on top of the frame and but the end up against the edge of the hull and staple it down to the frame. Then when I was done I could pull the frame out and lay it down on a sheet of plywood and trace out a perfect outline. Worked great

If you can - make your deck 2 pieces joined in the center (bow to stern) - do the same with a cardboard template and use a razor knife to cut the angle on the cardboard - this way you can always adjust for width from the straight edge down the center.

Remember to leave a little and then just use a sander to work out that last little bit - we used an angle grinder with a sanding disk to make small "adjustments" until everything was tight.

If you plan to add carpet you can hide any "misses" with that - you can also add an aluminum carpet trim piece to cover any gaps

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315186#p315186 said:
Captain Ahab » 18 May 2013, 15:42[/url]"]If you can - make your deck 2 pieces joined in the center (bow to stern) - do the same with a cardboard template and use a razor knife to cut the angle on the cardboard - this way you can always adjust for width from the straight edge down the center.

Remember to leave a little and then just use a sander to work out that last little bit - we used an angle grinder with a sanding disk to make small "adjustments" until everything was tight.

If you plan to add carpet you can hide any "misses" with that - you can also add an aluminum carpet trim piece to cover any gaps

I bought some vinyl 3/4" quarter round to cover my ooops!

Good call on cutting a bit over and sanding down to fit. Took me about 4 hours to make my front casting deck in my semi-V but the fit is good and I am happy with it.

Press board at HD about $9.00 for a 4x8 sheet.

Take your biggest measurements length and width. Cut your template to that measurement and work in from there. Measure and cut, it may take a few cuts you just work it a little bit at a time.

Attachments

• 046.JPG
    046.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 612
  • 047.JPG
    047.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 612