.050" aluminum for flooring?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Gehring

Reaction score
I can get a great deal on some 4'x8' aluminum sheets in .050". I searched for and read as many threads on aluminum flooring as I could find and can't see that anyone has used .050". I'm planning on using it to cover the exposed ribs on the floor of my Alumacraft 1756. I will build up the void spaces between the ribs with closed cell foam. Will the .050" work or is it too thin?

Thanks

that gauge AL is gonna be a little thin... thin enough to where a dropped butt end of a fishing pole might put a little wink in it. you will definitely want to support underneath it if you go with that thickness.

the way i look at it is if i skimp a little early on it may make more work for me later, so i would be inclined to spend a little more now to avoid having to go back, as i hate rework

rework = time better spent fishing! :mrgreen:

Thanks for the responses. I thought about doubling up also but not sure if it's worth the effort or will have the desired outcome.

Latest posts