Float pod setup...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vahunter

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about a lot and I've read a lot. I mocked a med size beavertail pod and it has clearance but I may go with a small, or if I end up building my own i may go somewhere in between a small and med. Ive read to flush the sides and the bottom edge but with about a 1" upward angle. My weldbilt has a slight V on the bottom and with the side of the pod lined up with the side of the boat the top and bottom will be parallel to each other obviously keeping the bottom flush.

Soooo, should pods be flush to side and bottom? Or flush to side with bottom corner flush but with the pods parallel to each other.

If they are best flush to sides and bottom ill build some. If they are best parallel, ill probably just buy the beavertails. If thats the case should i get the small or medium. The mediums look a little big on the boat but I have a few inches clearance to cav plate. Or should I get the small for more clearance? Thanks,
Buddy

Just FYI, my Alweld the boxes came flush on the sides and bottom.

Mine are going on flush with sides and bottom. I don't see a benefit of having them set back at all from the edges, seems like that would cause more drag and less floatation below the water line.

Here's a pic I found on a discussion I came across I will use to help explain...
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1369219803.004725.jpg
The hull angle to the keel is exaggerated but I'm basically asking about the red section. The beavertail pods mocked up on my boat are without the red section. Would I benefit at all with the red section included in a pod considering the slight v of the hull design?

Gonna start building pods soon. Priced 5052 .090x4'x8' sheet at $98. Gonna pick that up in the next week or two and start cutting.

I decided to follow the 5* bottom angle (red section in above pic included in pod) because I'm thinking it may be less likely to push air to the prop. Plus add a tad bit more floatation. Will post pics once I get started.

vahunter said:
Gonna start building pods soon. Priced 5052 .090x4'x8' sheet at $98. Gonna pick that up in the next week or two and start cutting.

I decided to follow the 5* bottom angle (red section in above pic included in pod) because I'm thinking it may be less likely to push air to the prop. Plus add a tad bit more floatation. Will post pics once I get started.
I got my 5052 .125x48x240 for $190 a sheet, You should be able to find .125x48x96 for about $100 easy.

I'm going with .090 not .125".many pods are made with .100 including Beavertail's large pods. So I'm quite sure I'd be fine with .090" for pods about the size of their small pods. It will cut back on some of the weight giving be more floatation and I honestly don't feel like I'm risking strength.

Why does everybody except me have a friend that tig welds aluminm? LOL they look awesome.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324941#p324941 said:
Pweisbrod » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:39 am[/url]"]Why does everybody except me have a friend that tig welds aluminm? LOL they look awesome.

Well at least I'm not alone because that's exactly what i was thinking, ha-ha!

They do look really nice!

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324941#p324941 said:
Pweisbrod » Yesterday, 05:39[/url]"]Why does everybody except me have a friend that tig welds aluminm? LOL they look awesome.

Me too.

Looks awesome man.

fender66 said:
Looks really nice. Is this the boat you've had all along?

I thought you had a blue jet boat??? :-k
Think you've got the wrong guy fender ;) never had a blue jet boat.

Thanks guys will do. Gonna attempt to take the wife fishing Saturday.

I see you put the drain on the pods next to the Transom. Were it is logical to put due to the angle, but wondered by Beavertail and Boyds put it on the back under the handle. I've been reading more post on pods than I can handle researching my own set i'm getting ready to build.

Have you had it in the water? Post before and after performance numbers, thoughts, and regrets. Please. Do your drain plugs catch the water right there while under power?

Looks like your didn't go flush..cant really see for sure in the pics. How much offset did you go from the sides and bottom of transom? Last question for now...How much of a rise to from transom to back of Pods did you do.

I just bought the medium set of pods for my 16x52 flat bottom jet, when I test fitted them against the transom they are flush on the bottom and the side but they are angled up slightly and I'm wondering if this is normal or should they be flat and level. Anyone have any insight on this would be great bc I haven't welded them on yet.

Latest posts