Topper 1232 on top of Truck Cap

Boating related questions,small projects, custom work and talk go here.

Is this boat tied down adequately?

You may select 1 option

View results

birkbill

Post by birkbill »

Friends,

My wife and I are having a discussion concerning whether sufficient tie down has been applied to our camping boat. It is depicted tied down on top of our truck cap in the attached 5 pictures. We welcome your thoughts on the adequacy "OR" in-adequacy of the tie-down as well as any suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance to all...

Bill n Diana
Attachments
topper 5 small.jpg
topper4 small.jpg
topper3 small.jpg
topper 2 small.jpg
topper 1 small.jpg

BOB350RX

Post by BOB350RX »

think the only thing i would do diff is to add a strap on the back, from the handles to your ladder rack so the boat can possibly shift front to rear, looking at it looks good to me id try it...lol. maybe not 70 mph but you never know...lol
THIS THING USED TO FLOAT

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic ... 21&t=20263, my 82 mirro build

https://www.powerstream.com/wire_size.htm voltage drop, and wire size charts, pretty useful stuff!! not just for 12v either

cgaengineer

Post by cgaengineer »

More than enough...that boat ain't going anywhere.

Keystone
Donor

Post by Keystone »

cgaengineer » 14 minutes ago wrote:More than enough...that boat ain't going anywhere.

+1
T.G.I.F. !!
Thank God I Fish
2014 G3 V167T Angler a.k.a. The Esox Lucius
Yamaha F40LA, MinnKota V2 PD45, Humminbird 581i HD DI Combo
U.S. Army 95BZ6 1979-1990
Originally from Bucks County, PA
Now Call Minnesota home....

thatkidhugo

Post by thatkidhugo »

I think you will be fine, I see boats around here tied down with a lot less.

TMax27

Post by TMax27 »

Ladder Rack ===>> Rear Handles <<<=== Ladder Rack

birkbill

Post by birkbill »

Friends,

Thanks for all your input. We incorporated comments recieved and now believe we have a tied down 1232 that is going to travel to Florida with us on top of our tow vehicle. I will post some photos tomorrow of the whole rig to give you all an appreciation for what this looks like. We are leaving tomorrow afternoon once I get home from work...

Again, thanks. 8)

Bill and Diana

birkbill

Post by birkbill »

Friends,

As promised below are three photos from the end of day one of our trip to florida... Boat rode fine as we only went around 60 mph on the interstate. No issues at all.

Again, thanks to all for your help and recommendations. :)

Bill and Diana
Attachments
Passenger side of truck looking back at travel trailer...  Wife recommended additional rope tie down from bumper of truck to front handle of boat...
Passenger side of truck looking back at travel trailer... Wife recommended additional rope tie down from bumper of truck to front handle of boat...
Driver side of truck looking back at travel trailer...  Wife recommended additional rope tie down from bumper of truck to front handle of boat...
Driver side of truck looking back at travel trailer... Wife recommended additional rope tie down from bumper of truck to front handle of boat...

birkbill

Post by birkbill »

For purposes of closing out this topic.... the wife and I returned home after a week long trip to florida with the boat transported on top of our truck box cap. Only thing that still needs some brain work done yet is something to avoid the metal to metal contact better than the pipe insulation we used between ladder rack and the topper...

Again, thanks to all for your input... :wink:

Bill and Diana

Bailey Boat

Post by Bailey Boat »

birkbill » 19 Jun 2013, 19:19 wrote:For purposes of closing out this topic.... the wife and I returned home after a week long trip to florida with the boat transported on top of our truck box cap. Only thing that still needs some brain work done yet is something to avoid the metal to metal contact better than the pipe insulation we used between ladder rack and the topper...

Again, thanks to all for your input... :wink:

Bill and Diana
Think about black plastic pipe, the type used for water wells. It is thin enough to split with a utility knife and once split can be worked over the cross member of the rack but will stay closed and not come off easily.