Topper 1232 on top of Truck Cap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is this boat tied down adequately?

• Yes

Votes: 15 78.9%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Maybe Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe No

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • Don't Know

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters

birkbill

Reaction score
Friends,

My wife and I are having a discussion concerning whether sufficient tie down has been applied to our camping boat. It is depicted tied down on top of our truck cap in the attached 5 pictures. We welcome your thoughts on the adequacy "OR" in-adequacy of the tie-down as well as any suggestions you might have.

Thanks in advance to all...

Bill n Diana

Attachments

• topper 1 small.jpg
    topper 1 small.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 809
  • topper 2 small.jpg
    topper 2 small.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 809
  • topper3 small.jpg
    topper3 small.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 809
  • topper4 small.jpg
    topper4 small.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 809
  • topper 5 small.jpg
    topper 5 small.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 809
think the only thing i would do diff is to add a strap on the back, from the handles to your ladder rack so the boat can possibly shift front to rear, looking at it looks good to me id try it...lol. maybe not 70 mph but you never know...lol

Friends,

Thanks for all your input. We incorporated comments recieved and now believe we have a tied down 1232 that is going to travel to Florida with us on top of our tow vehicle. I will post some photos tomorrow of the whole rig to give you all an appreciation for what this looks like. We are leaving tomorrow afternoon once I get home from work...

Again, thanks. 8)

Bill and Diana

Friends,

As promised below are three photos from the end of day one of our trip to florida... Boat rode fine as we only went around 60 mph on the interstate. No issues at all.

Again, thanks to all for your help and recommendations. :)

Bill and Diana

Attachments

• driver front view tiedown.jpg
    driver front view tiedown.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 666
  • passenger front view tiedown.jpg
    passenger front view tiedown.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 666
For purposes of closing out this topic.... the wife and I returned home after a week long trip to florida with the boat transported on top of our truck box cap. Only thing that still needs some brain work done yet is something to avoid the metal to metal contact better than the pipe insulation we used between ladder rack and the topper...

Again, thanks to all for your input... :wink:

Bill and Diana

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=319423#p319423 said:
birkbill » 19 Jun 2013, 19:19[/url]"]For purposes of closing out this topic.... the wife and I returned home after a week long trip to florida with the boat transported on top of our truck box cap. Only thing that still needs some brain work done yet is something to avoid the metal to metal contact better than the pipe insulation we used between ladder rack and the topper...

Again, thanks to all for your input... :wink:

Bill and Diana

Think about black plastic pipe, the type used for water wells. It is thin enough to split with a utility knife and once split can be worked over the cross member of the rack but will stay closed and not come off easily.

Latest posts