What kind of hinge?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bass427

Reaction score
Does it matter what kind of hinge for compartment doors and how do you install them?

It all depends on the look you want, how youre supporting your hatches, budget, etc. Main thing is get them as corrosion proof as your budget allows. Stainless is terrific, but pricey, and it goes from there. Even zinc plated will last longer than just a plain metal one.

Is piano hinge in general good? Compartments seem pretty well supported. One compartment is pretty big it's about 1/4 of the rear casting decking, but supported on all four sides with 2x3's. Also if you don't mind what's best way to cut out compartments? Jigsaw? What's good way to get placement of compartments before cutting into plywood?
Thanks ahead for the advice!

Piano hinges look nice hidden or on top. Theres more 'hinge', so its strong, but it also depends on what size you get. For your rear deck, you could use piano hinge or even 2-3 door style hinges. As for cutting out, jig saw works well, especially if you are carpeting. I would use carboard cutouts and lay them on to see what layout works best. Be aware of the space underneath and if your hatch placement allows clear access.

I have framed rear and front deck complete and where I want compartments. Plywood is cut to size of decks. Problem I have is how to get where compartments should be cut out of plywood. Thanks I think I will go with piano hinge on top of deck most likely seems easy

Latest posts