how big of a Jon boat 325lb guy.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craveman85

Reaction score
I have a 10' Jon currently. When rowing I'm fine ( middle seat) but using a motor (4 hp from back seat) the boat only has 2" of freeboard at the transom. I don't want to inhibit my boat by putting weights in the front so how big of a boat does a 325lb guy need to be safe sitting in the back?

just my $.02 but i think you should be fine with a center console. maybe even a center console in the middle of the boat

something like this

sport-fishing-boat-jon-boat-center-console-aluminium-20780-367899.jpg

I'd like to stay tiller controlled. I don't want to drop the extra money on a center console, they're hard to find around here especially used, and I have a few tiller motors I like to use and no remote motors . Mainly I need one that isn't going to pop a wheelie with about 400-450lbs in the back seat.

What about extending the tiller? A few folks on here have done that. You could probably use the existing setup from the middle seat.

I'm still looking to go up in size. My smaller motors I'd still have to get back to the engine to shift and the ones small enough for that boat don't have reverse. I've actually got my eye on a late 40s already d 14' if I sell my 10' Jon

Dude
Take it from another big guy. Get a 14ft boat and make sure it has a 20 inch transom. Locate the battery and gas tank forward and the anchor too. Keep the beer cooler back by you.
Been there , done that. If the front end comes up too much when getting on plane, or porpoises some, just put a sandbag up in the front.
Tim

Been there and done that. Diet is not an option. :) Or my son and I represent that.

I think you want a wide 14' boat for the comfort and stability it offers. We tried a canoe for about 10 minutes. Then we fished a few times out of a 12 foot semi vee. It just was not stable enough to suit me.

Bought a 1448 Jon and I think I am going to love it. It is rated at 825 pounds of people and gear.

1448 should work. A buddy and I fish out of a Lowe 1448, which has the back bench removed. Sometimes we are both near the back of the boat, one with fish on, and the other with the net. Combined weight over 400#; don't seem to be a problem. If you really want stability, look for something like a 1654.

hi caveman85 if you like that 10' of yours get a handle extender for that tiller and sit in the middle like I do, I am 212 and with battery and gear and safety stuff it is kinda tight but i'm not looking for more than a truck bed filler for the river. but in a few years I will get a larger one for the lake.

I am about 270 and I have a 14 ft Smokercraft semi v. I had to move the fuel tank and battery up front when I added the motor. Mine is nice and stable. I think it is 56 inches wide. I can stand up and move around with no issues. I think for a jon, wider is better and deeper is better. I had a 12 ft jon and I had to put cinder blocks up front and I has only about 6 inches between the top of the rail and the water. Not good when you catch a wave.

my thought was shallow draft , as the reason why I got mine, even though it is 10' 36" for the river and it being a drought year .
there are still spots I can't run, and I would run them in the past.

i'd want more hull than my 1436 if i was your weight, i'd be looking to at least a 1448, preferably a 1652, though wider is more important than longer when it comes to capacity

I was thinking about an 18' by what ever for the lake when I buy my next one, or one I can use at the coast and lake that will hold me and some one else because the river is narrow in some spots only 14' wide and others less with the drought.
212 lb. is befor gear is not my issue it might be some others, but not mine being disabled some may see it as an issue , I just live with it, adapt over come concor, and life well lived and earned.

As a 325 pound guy myself, I have a 1648 and it is great. Very stable wherever I am at in the boat. I was standing on the benches just this past weekend to decide if I want a front deck. It was still stable. I'm not sure I would want anything smaller.

Latest posts