adding sponsons to hull? NOT pods, might be crazy...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitson Metalworks

Reaction score
I have a 15' fisher marine I'm building into a simple center console. I've always wondered about and searched for info on the addition of sponsons to the bottom of a flat bottomed Jon boat type hull. What I'm talking about would run the length of the flat portion of the hull, sit as far to the outside as possible, on the chines, and look more like a pontoon or ski. I'm thinking they could be maybe 4 inches deep, pyramid shaped ( with the base being welded to the hull) and come to a blended point at the start of the hulls rise. In my mind, something like this would add buoyancy, stability, and maybe speed if the boat rides up onto the sponsons a little. I can see turning on a dime being tough but what else? Is this a crazy thought? Also, I have the welder and won't be paying for labor.

You mean like this?

Sponson Material.jpg

That's .050" x 12" aluminum irrigation pipe.

Sponsons 001.jpg

Had to cut, bend, and weld in 3 places to follow the radius of the bow

Sponsons 002.jpg

Sponsons-Top View.jpg

And yeah, they held pressure just fine, up to 15 PSI.
Sponson Pressurized.jpg

Here it is, on the water.

Returning To Port.jpg

Nope, my idea is to put these on the bottom of the hull out on the chines, think catamaran or airfoil type design only not as pronounced. But that is quite a sweet looking rig there.

Are you gonna be able to weld a watertight seal all the way up and down both of those chines? Seems like that would be very hard to do and if it leaks, you are dragging a lot of water.
I like the concept though, getting up on plane would be like having a cat hull. My buddy had a prokat 22 ft center console, was that ever a sweet boat.
Tim

How about hydro foils instead?? What you are talking about would give very little lift since there is virtually no surface perpendicular to the flow of the water and it would more than likely just add drag (more surface area in contact with the water).

Why in the world would anyone do all of that to an aluminum boat? I am referring to those pipes on the gunnels. I guess it is pretty much sink proof though.

I know exactly what you’re talking about,

A lot of the toon guys add the lifting strakes. I’ve also seen that a lot of the new pontoon hulls come with them from the manufacture. I think it would do everything you mentioned, and if you can fab and weld them go for it.

Attachments

• PontoonLiftingStrakes-01.jpg
    PontoonLiftingStrakes-01.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 7,361
  • PontoonLiftingStrakes-03.jpg
    PontoonLiftingStrakes-03.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 7,361
I'm on my 4th hull revision on my Jetjon. So my advice is to just buy a boat that does what you want. When you modify it, there are surprises, some may not be pleasant.

Latest posts