What to Look For?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfgang4570

Reaction score
Hello all,

Been quite a while since I have been on the site but I have question that I need some help with. As retirement nears it would seem my wife's desire to go fishing increases as well. She wants to go more than I do and if you have to be nagged about something that's a good one to be nagged about! :D My question is this... We have been hitting the Sandusky River more and more from the banks but we want to start using a boat. Our boat is a 16 ft deep V StarCraft with a 20 HP Mercury outboard. This poses two problems, the first is getting the boat to the water as there are very few ramps on the river, at least in our area and the boat is obviously too big and heavy to carry down to the water on the bank where there is access. The second problem goes hand in hand with the first. The river in our area has lots of shallow spots and the boat would need portaged over some of these and again it's too big and heavy. A Jon boat would seem to be the answer but the catch is that neither me nor my wife are small folks and much like our boat we are too big and heavy! It seems that the Jons all have a low max weight capacity. I was looking on G3's site and they offer a 14 ft. long wide beamed Jon that carries a max rating of over 800 pounds and weighs in at around 230lbs with the lighter of the two hull materials.

Not looking for any raging speed on the boat just portability and stability as well as enough room to be at least semi comfortable. On the river we would probably just us a trolling motor or a very small outboard but there are some nice reservoirs and inland lakes in the area that we may try and hit once in a while as well. Just looking for some input as to you guys who are much more involved in this stuff than I am. V hulls are all I have ever really used but the Jon seems to be an option. I would more than likely have to sell my StarCraft to be able to afford a different boat so I would want something that I can use for both purposes. Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Todd

Latest posts