bilge pump location...need some facts and opinions.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbweimar

Reaction score
I'm fix in to mount my bimge pump in the boat and got to thinking whether I should mount it in the center next to the transom support, or as far to one side or the other as I can.

Where do you fellas have yours mounted and why? Thanks.

mine's just to the port side of center (the left side if you're facing the bow of the boat), and all the way aft (toward the back of the boat) against the transom

mine's also not permanently mounted so i can move it a little bit in order to clean out leaves, grass, sand, mud, etc... that inevitably collects in the bilge area

my bilge pump hose is heater hose which is much stiffer than bilge hose, & the hose is secured everywhere except the last 1' or so of hose by the pump itself which allows me to flex the hose around to move the pump a little bit but still keeps the pump in place while underway, even in rough water. i have it installed so that it's wedged up against the knee bracket by the hose, that way it stays pretty much in place but can be moved very easily. many folks permanently mount their bilge pumps, but i never have because i like it to be able to be moved around for cleaning and also so i can put it in the deepest part of the pool if i have a lot of water in the boat

in a small boat, it's not that critical, because you can easily move around weight in the boat to make the water pool on one side or the other for the pump to remove it, but on a big boat, you have to put it in the lowest spot for obvious reasons

if your going to secure the pump itself, i suggest putting it in a rear corner on a small boat, because it's easy to get the water back to the rear corners, but if the middle works better for your looks or something, that's fine too as long as it's near the back. the bilge pump cannot pump out the last 1/2" or so of water anyways, so wherever you mount it in the back portion of the boat should be fine

Mine is in the back. Most weight is there and I only have a small section that is open to get to the plug. Grizzly 1448 side console with floor.

Mine is in the back. Most weight is there and I only have a small section that is open to get to the plug. Grizzly 1448 side console with floor.

Sorry if my first post was a little hard to understand. I was at work and trying to multi-task. The bilge pump will definitely be mounted in the back. Its a 1752 weldbilt so I'm thinking if I mount it to one side in the back I can stand at that side on the back and get most of the water. BUT, the bottom is not truley flat at the back. The bottom has a slight V so the middle is the lowest point.

Sorry mbweimar..hate to ask in this thread.. but how does one go about plumbing the Bilge pump? like drilling through the aluminum boat and sealing the hole..Also what was your materials list?
if this is not a good place to ask, delete this if you can..My apologies! [-o<

~~Mitch

to plumb get a bilge outlet and pick a high spot above the water line. i have my outlet out of the starboard side near the transom, i can turn the pump on glance over my shoulder and see if it is pumping anything out and if so i can see when it stops

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=315660#p315660 said:
mbweimar » Yesterday, 15:19[/url]"]I'm fix in to mount my bimge pump in the boat and got to thinking whether I should mount it in the center next to the transom support, or as far to one side or the other as I can.

Where do you fellas have yours mounted and why? Thanks.

Check out page 6 on the link below my signature and it will show you how I mounted mine. It was a Saturday afternoon job.

I agree, mount it where it is easily serviced.
Also do your self a favor and get an automatic / manual one, not just manual. Imagine you have the boat at a lake and it rains all night, automatic is the word, easier to sleep at night.
I had to work on my livewell pump once in the middle of the lake, 3/4 inch stream gushing in, the hose connection broke and the pump top half came apart and I had a hell of a time getting it back together. Not to mention the hose connection half *** fixed. Sorta had me puckering and my buddy was freakin out real good. Bilge pump was running for about 10 minutes.
Tim

Latest posts