Priming a boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LordTunderrin

Reaction score
Hey guys. So In my humble tiny town in northern Canada I was able to come across some metal etching primer made by Nason.

Chrome Free Etch Primer 491-55, and the activator to mix in at a 2:1 Ratio 441-55.

Directions online tell me this:

TOPCOATS:
491-55™ must be followed with a Primer-Surfacer or Sealer prior to topcoating with any Nason® topcoat.

The PDF copy of directions can be found by googling "nason 491-55" - Cant figure out how to get the link for it on this particular computer sorry.

My plan was to use Parkers duck boat paint as a base coat. Does this mean I need to buy sometype of sealer prior to that? Or is that only for the Nason product line? Wish I had read this before I spent the cash on it because I much would rather just prime it and then lay down the parkers after its dried. Didnt realize I would need to seal a primer before paint.. unless I am missing something here?
Anyone have any experience with this stuff?
Thanks for any help fellas

The primer-etcher you are using is thin,.and designed to provide really good adhesion. You would then use the suggested primer to build up your base eliminating small imperfections that would otherwise show through a top coat. Remember, this is primarily used in automotive work where you would want a door skin to be smooth as glass. For your purposes, it will provide a good adhesion for a top coat, as I am assuming you're not going for a showroom finish :)

You are most certainly correct.. was not looking for that type of job. Just wanted something to keep my flat paint on a little better when I beat the crap outta it this duck season. Thanks for the help! Ill finish sanding and cleaning and roll on the primer then paint, thanks again!

Latest posts