Newbie boat question.

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caliguy

Reaction score
Hey everyone, first I have to say this is a cool site. I was trying to do some research on some aluminum boats and stumbled onto this site, glad I did. Anyhow, boats are a "new waters" for me so to speak, I'm finally looking into getting my first boat and thought I'd go with a used aluminum boat that way I can customize it to my liking(add casting deck & etc...), not to mention save me a bunch of money.

Anyway, I'm looking into suggestions on type, size, expected costs and etc... I'm trying to find something that I can use to fish both small ponds(electric only) and larger body lakes...just some local central California lakes to be exact. Or am I asking for too much and simply doing some wishful thinking. I'd say something for 3 or 4 people max, but most of time two people.

I'm guessing for my application, a deep V or mod V would be wiser since I'd be fishing some local lakes also instead of simply ponds. I love the Jon boats but they're mostly flat bottom right or wrong, and I'm guessing minimum of 14ft cause I'd probably be pushing it with a 12 footer. Just don't know where to begin, any suggestions would be great.

You're on the right track. I prefer modified V hulls cause they handle rough water better, but flat bottoms are very stable so some differ. You want at least 14' for 2 people, possibly 16' if you might take 3 or 4. Casting decks add weight so that subtracts from the amount of weight in people you can have in a boat.

A big question is whether you buy a new or used boat, and that comes down to price and what you are looking for in the design. Conversions can be made with either, and some very old, very ratty looking tinboats have been turned into works of art with TLC. Thats what its all about. See GatorToms boat if you want a pic.

I agree that you should probably look at a 16ft. A V will handle rough water better than the jon, but if you don't see a lot of rough water, there is no reason a jon wouldn't be able to handle a big lake.

Have fun with the search and redo.

hey thanks for the replys guys, so at least 16ft is the way to go for at least 3 people. the only reason why i was considering a 14fter was due to the small ponds i like to fish, but why limit yourself right? there's a local guy selling a gregor 14ft decent shape, with foot trolling motor, builtin casting deck, merc outboard(not sure of hp), front & rear folding seats, and restored trailer for $1600. what do you guys think about the price? I'd rate the overall condition of boat at about a 6 out of 10...

Last summer i paid $500 for a 16' V that needed a lot of work. Depending on what HP motor, I would say that $1600 would be in the ballpark. Offer $1000 and see what happens.

thanks...good to know i wasn't looking at something too outrageouse. kinda of new to this so it's hard to tell if i' looking at a good deal or not.