Anybody using the lowrance/LEI chips in there units?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnny5

Reaction score
hey guys im looking at upgrading my mapping software for my lowrance expedition C...just wondering what series of card i should buy here for eastern north carolina cuz im fishing the river systems as well lakes i know the lake map won't give me the performance i need when fishing tournys in the tidal rivers around here, yes yes we have the best of both worlds her in north kakalaky so im trying to get the best of both worlds, and for the garmin users not knocking them but most of the boaters around here for some reason :lol: are using the lowrances which would allow me to pop my chip in and use my saved points of origin, marked fish, ext when i fish the state tourny again this year :lol: if i make it, just wondering what you guys were using thanks J5

First off your lei chip will not save the way points from your unit to another unit. You would need a blank chip to save that info on. I have the navionics's chips there are 4 chips that cover all the lakes and rivers I also use the nauticpath chip that covers the tidal waters
they give you great detail and if your good at map reading can find many of the hidden spots to fish from your driveway.
I use both the chip and a paper map to do my at home research. I find the spot on the paper map then go out and find it on my gps in the boat and save the way point.

you can get the chips for around $100 each they can be found cheaper on EBay but i have heard of a few guys that got bank chips.
be sure you check the Lowrance web site to see that the unit you have will run the chips you are buying.
Older units will not run the bigger chips so you would need to find the older one that was set up to have 8 chips covering the entire country.

hope this helps

Wayne

Look for the Fishing Hot Spots Elite chips for Lowrance units. I think the one we use is either the East or Southern region. I've only carried mine to the Roanoke river, and it has some info on it, but not as much as the lakes. These cards also have extra space on them to allow waypoints to be saved to the card and transferred.

If you look on the Lowrance site, under Cartography, they offer a good number of free maps, not many for our area, but these are some of the same maps on the Navionics charts. (Not all of them) There is even enough room left on the card to add a map or two of these. I don't have the card/unit handy to check now, but I do remember it's a 64MB card, and at least 10MB was free.