Stripping then resurfacing, then modding!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kemical

Reaction score
ok guys i thought i would share my steps by steps on my lil project,
day 1. 5-8-08... stripping, here are some photos

i will be putting step by step photos on here,

enjoy..
please feel free to lend me some advice,, i greatly appreciate them. you guys been doing this longer than i have ,, so you know what ya'll are doing,, thanks

Attachments

• -1.jpeg
    -1.jpeg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,704
  • -2.jpeg
    -2.jpeg
    30.2 KB · Views: 1,687
  • -3.jpeg
    -3.jpeg
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,765
So, what brand of stripper are your using and what are your thoughts on how it performs?

I'll be going through the same process shortly, so any info is appreciated.

Mark

Mossy535 said:
So, what brand of stripper are your using and what are your thoughts on how it performs?

I'll be going through the same process shortly, so any info is appreciated.

Mark

this is what im using,,,, works pretty good like it says,, wait 15 mins start scrapping with a plastic scrapper,, comes off like butter,, i did noticed some stubborn spots,, had to spray a lil bit more,, oh btw it came with a spray bottle ,, so im spraying away.. pretty good..lol

Attachments

• -4.jpeg
    -4.jpeg
    20.1 KB · Views: 1,683
Yep i used the Klean-strip stuff too, I painted it on and put plenty. Look for it to bubble up the paint, scrapes right off that way.

I feel for ya on this part-that was a rough spot for me.

FishingBuds said:
Yep i used the Klean-strip stuff too, I painted it on and put plenty. Look for it to bubble up the paint, scrapes right off that way.

I feel for ya on this part-that was a rough spot for me.

THANKS for tha tip!!! i saw that when it bubbles up, tomorrow i will try that!! thanks again

i stripped down to aluminum,,, and found some of the rivots where covered in a rubber substance,, i think its epoxy,, anyways after i completely stripped it,, how do i fix the loose rivots?? how to i make it tighter so when i resurface the bottom of the boat, it wont jiggle of leave an air pocket!, im lost on the rivot thing i want to make it tight again so i wont have any leaks

thanks

You need to tighten the rivets by having someone hold a heavy metal bar on the inside of the boat against the rivet then from the outside tap the rivet with a sledge hammer. If you know anyone that has a rivet set this would be best so you don't deform the rivet on the outside of the boat too much. It doesn't take a lot of force to start to flatten out that rivet on the inside of the boat. Try doing some up on the side rail for practice first. I did this with a rivet setter in a air chisel with a sledg hammer as a backup inside the boat. I can get you the website info where I ordered the rivet setter if you want. It is just a punch that is hollowed out to match the head of the rivet. Remember, the rivets are aluminum too so they are soft metal.

what if, i clean it up real good on the rivets,, and heat with regular propane torch and touch stick to each loose rivet?? will that work too??.. it will make it hard and it wont leak again..
cuz i noticed the ones that are loose, are the ones with the crossbeams, (the inside of the boat)i cant get the rivets becuz the beam is on top of the rivet.??

either way i will be using an epoxy to seal the deal,,

kemical, I don't fool with old rivets.

I simply drill out the old rivet and get said fitted bolt, add some 5200 marine caulk from Wal-Mart and I'm done with it. I've done the last two boat projects this way. Its been fine :) no leaks [-X

FishingBuds said:

I simply drill out the old rivet and get said fitted bolt, add some 5200 marine caulk from Wal-Mart and I'm done with it. I've done the last two boat projects this way. Its been fine :) no leaks [-X

when u say fitted bolts, what do u mean??

today [day 2] (5-12-08).. just finished scrapping all the paint off..

and i just realized pretty much the whole underside of the boat all rivets are covered in epoxy,, there all lose..... ."F*%$!!!! "

Why do i have a bad feeling im gonna have to drill out all these **** rivets and put in nuts and bolts with 5200 or JB,,ahhhhhh!!!

kemical said:
FishingBuds said:

today day 2 (5-12-08).. just finished scrapping all the paint off..

and i just realized pretty much the whole underside of the boat all rivets are covered in epoxy,, there all loose..... ."F*%$!!!! "

Why do i have a bad feeling im gonna have to drill out all these **** rivets and put in nuts and bolts with 5200 or JB,,ahhhhhh!!!

ahh can i just propane torch it ????

kemical said:

today day 2 (5-12-08).. just finished scrapping all the paint off..

and i just realized pretty much the whole underside of the boat all rivets are covered in epoxy,, there all lose..... ."F*%$!!!! "

Did the stripper remove the epoxy coating, or are you just noticing they're loose now that you've got the paint off?

You're about to scare me away from using stripper to remove the paint on my MirroCraft! 8-[

Mark

Fitted meaning-underside I used 10 head 3/8 long(something with a really flat head as possible) on my sides I used an 8 head 1/4 long, shop for them. I went to several stores before I settled on something-custom fit bubba :wink:

you know if you have that many rivets and are epoxy over I'd do this- set up the boat on horses, fill with water and then have a crayon ready, get underneath the boat and circle where you have leaks, now hopefully its not everyone(couldn't be) then you can replace at will... But if you don't leak like you expected then great, you'll just paint over the epoxy job and be fine.

now I had an area that was epoxy that I found at the bow when I stripped paint and I didn't do nothen fancy except making sure it was cleaned to paint. Keep in mind that you will also help with sealing these leaks with a heavy coat of paint too. when I painted my underneath I laid it on thick, and I mean thick.

My jon was pretty rough and I really found out how rough it was when I took it down to bare metal, I was wondering if it would float after I got done with it, just the project jitters for me. hang in there tho, you'll have that baby floating fine.

Mark paint stripper is fine, it will not knock loose rivets, like I said when I stripped on my boat is when I found a decent size epoxy area, I did not desturb the area anymore than removing the old paint.

Now keep this in mind too, alot of bolts and nuts and washers will add up quick-I ended up spending about $35 bucks on bolts and nuts but, this was not all at once. Alot of hardware goes in them don't they, I guess thats why they call them PROJECTs :lol:

Keep us posted on your results fellas

FishingBuds said:
Mark paint stripper is fine, it will not knock loose rivets, like I said when I stripped on my boat is when I found a decent size epoxy area, I did not desturb the area anymore than removing the old paint.

Now keep this in mind too, alot of bolts and nuts and washers will add up quick-I ended up spending about $35 bucks on bolts and nuts but, this was not all at once. Alot of hardware goes in them don't they, I guess thats why they call them PROJECTs :lol:

Thanks for the info! If I can get by with $35 in hardware I'll be amazed. Every fastener I've touched has been carbon steel, and about 50% of them had to have the head ground off because the nuts were rusted on solid. I also had occasion to use that nut splitter I bought a couple years ago.

But all the bits and pieces are finally off so now I get to clean it up and get ready for primer, figuring out the layout, then final paint and completing the build.

Mark

lol.. i try to soldering it today to try on one rivet, just to test it out how will it work,,funny thing was that whatever line, that metal rope it came with my kit,, didnt even stick to the aluminum, lol,, it turned with the rivet...lol.. i guess im going to jd it or epoxy it, then gonna resurface it with a epoxy sealant,,oh well!!!

FishingBuds said:

alright, i think i know what u mean now, about getting fitted bolt,,, and add some 5200,,, i think will do that,, cuz there is exactly 70 rivets that need to be 1.replaced or 2. soldered, 3. fitted bolt,, since i dont have rivetor,,and i dont think the one from homedepot https://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wc...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100488978
wont do,,, i dunno,, so i figure i will take FishingBuds advice.. looks easier..lol.. i see 2 of the rivets were replace with screw and bolt with some epoxy,, and it wasnt leaking from there,, soo i will drill them out,, but i had 1 question..

what size bolt and nut is that you use on a aluminum boat..??

[DAY 3]here is the update on the boat.. finish completly sanding it with 80 grit orbital sander

thanks guys,, no one ever said this was going to be easy,, but thanks to this site and your advice, is really keeping me not to stop,, if i dint have this help,, trust me i wuld of gave up alonggggggggg time agoooooo..lol

thanks again

Attachments

• 05-15-08_1906.jpg
    05-15-08_1906.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 1,177
  • 05-15-08_1905.jpg
    05-15-08_1905.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,166
  • 05-15-08_1937.jpg
    05-15-08_1937.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 1,163
  • 05-15-08_1938.jpg
    05-15-08_1938.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 1,196
talking to my neighbor, he was telling me it is very simply to RErivet theses holes,, i was looking at it,, and i was also thinking about RErivet them,, what do you think,, should i just redo it, or nut and bolt it??

you guys should know this,, your answer is in your hands,,lol..

thanks guys!!

Latest posts