New member, "new" boat, got question!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewR

Reaction score
Hi guys, after months of reading (yes, months) I finally took the initiative to join this site. The stuff you have here and the things I see are just awesome!

Anyways, back in October I bought a really dilapidated 1979, 15ft Lund Guide Series 315 tri-hull/fiberglass boat.... All for $900.00!
Since the purchase I have been slowly but efficiently cleaning it, re-making it, and updating it. If you want to know what I did, I re-wired and re-did the trailer, gutted the old interior, installed new electronics, installed its first official bilge pump, installed nice carpeting and gave it new seats and etc. I still have to build a trolling motor mounting platform and I gotta install the Minn Kota. Once it happens, the work is complete.

n20008509_32666198_169.jpg

Before.

image_012.jpg

image_014.jpg

Right now. Minus the bow-mount and transom mount trolling motors.

The question I have is I am wondering how easy it is to add a front deck extension. How much work would such a project involve? What materials and tools would I need for this? Are there any good online tutorials for this, articles that can give me step-by-step directions? I am still debating whether or not to do this because I am pleased with my boat at the moment but since I only have maybe 3 or 4ft of room for a casting deck to work with, I don't have much. If I were to make an extension like going out an extra 2ft, it would probably be a summertime project that would happen when the fishing is slow.

Thanks! Love the site!

Andrew, welcome to the site and I'm sure you will find many pictures of other front deck builds here. Yours will prolly be pretty straight forward as you have a flat floor to anchor the base if your extension to. You have any plans on putting that thing on Lake Mich for some perch and salmon?

Welcome aboard and great job on the redo.

I'm always looking for a new project and one like yours is on my list of favorites. I love the old Lunds with the open floor plans. Some day I'll find me a bargain and she will be mine!

Once again, welcome to the site, you'll love it here!

Dave

Love the open floor plan. I wouldn't extend the deck much more than a foot or two if it was me because I like the way that is laid out now. Should be easy to do since you already have a small deck on front and have a flat floor to anchor to. Are you going wood or aluminum for the supports?

esquired said:
Hello Andrew - I know you Dude!

You do???? :?

Hey Flounder, this is the same "Andrew_R" from chitown-angler.com, BTW! :D
I have absolutely no plans for using the boat in IL waters. This will be solely used in northern Wisconsin, and parked in our garage up there. I was expecting to have the entire thing finished by next weekend as that's my first trip of the year but since it 'aint ready yet, I'm delayed by 2-3 weeks now.... So next weekend while fishing north, I will be "boatless". While the boat is ready to be fished from, not everything is installed and it's gotta be perfect before anything can happen! :lol:

GatorTom, I have absolutely zero idea what materials are needed and how a deck extension is to be done. :lol: That's why I made the post. What are your thoughts or suggestions? If you had to choose between wood and aluminum for the supports, which would you go with?

Thanks for the kind words guys! I'm open to many suggestions regarding my refurb rig. :wink:

Latest posts