UPGRADING MY 14' ALUMACRAFT

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3weight

Reaction score
New to the group here, but have had this 14' Alumacraft for some time. When I first got it, I made a few mods with the front seat, back seat and trolling motor mount. I also put some plywood in the floor. After toying with the idea of finishing the inside, I stumbled across this site and decided to go for it. You guys have given me some pretty good ideas that I will use. The pictures show the boat before and the progression I am making.

I will update as I move along.

BEFORE
14' Alumacraft, 15hp Johnson, Fish Finder, Trolling Motor
P1010003-1.jpg

P1010004-1.jpg

Front Seat Mod
P1010005-1.jpg

Back Seat Mod
P1010006-1.jpg

P1010007-1.jpg

Plywood Floors
P1010008-1.jpg

P1010009-1.jpg

I decided to cut plywood to fit over the aluminum and attach the carpet to the plywood.
P1010011-1.jpg

I figured I could use a little extra storage as well, so I bought a container from lowes and cut a hole for it to fit in. The process went pretty easy so I will probably add a couple more before I'm done.
P1010016-1.jpg

P1010017-1.jpg

P1010018-1.jpg

This was a very time consuming process, much more so than I thought it would be. By the end of the day I had all the plywood panels cut to size and got them all covered in carpet, but did not have time to get them fastened to the boat.
P1010019-1.jpg

My help kind of slacked off on me towards the end of the day.
P1010015-1.jpg

P1010013-1.jpg

Hopefully, I will be able to finish the carpet and storage this week and will move on to the floor next week. I am going to redo the floor and cut out around the ribs so I dont have fish falling through the gap in the side. I thought about decking the front, but I dont really need it because the way I have the seat is so comfotable and I dont really stand up when I fish anyway, so I will probably just keep the floor low.

I need to replace the bow stop on the trailer. I have looked at Bass Pro and Boaters World and cant find one for a flat front boat.
Can any of you guys reccomend where I can find one or how I can make one?

Waterwings said:
Welcome Aboard, and nice rig! 8)

I like the setup for the front seat pedastal with the battery beneath it. Is that battery used for the tm only or other accessories?

Thanks Waterwings, that front seat is really comfortable and its a great place to store the battery to even out the weight a little. Everythng electronic runs off that battery. The gas motor is a manual start so it doesnt need a battery. I run the tm, ff, and I have a 12v plug for my gps and cell phone charger, and just the running lights running off the battery now.

It is all straight wired to the battery now, but I plan on putting a panel board on the side of that pedestal soon to control everything.

That is a very nice looking boat! I like the way everything is laid out.

Here are a couple of photos that show how I modified the trailer winch support post to fit a flat bow boat I was making.

Gypsy%20trailer%20finished2.JPG

Gypsy%20trailer%20finished4.JPG

I'll see if I have a better close of of the wooden bracket(?) I made.

Here it is!

Gypsy%20strong%20eye%20bolt%20loadingS.JPG

Old Bill said:
Here are a couple of photos that show how I modified the trailer winch support post to fit a flat bow boat I was making.

Thanks Old Bill, I guess that is a 2x6?

3weight said:
Old Bill said:

Thanks Old Bill, I guess that is a 2x6?

No, it was a 2x4, with a smaller 2x4 in the center, that was cut at an angle so the larger 2x4 would fit flat to the boat's bow.

Tompatt said:
3weight said:
Tompatt said:
does the front floor arch up? if so how did u deck the front?

The front floor does arch up, but i didnt deck it.

i mean lay the plywood. would that be at a weird angle?

Man, Im lost. I only put plywood on parts that were flat - the benches. There is some plywood that is just laying on the floor to give you somewhere to walk. I never fastened it down. I think over time it has formed to the the angle of the floor. I will be replacing the plywood in the floor with something that looks a little better. I will post pics when I do. Hope that answers your question.

I was able to finish carpeting the benches this weekend and finished the 2 storage hatches that I added. Here are some photos.

P10100082-2.jpg

P10100092-2.jpg

P10100102-2.jpg

I fastened the carpeted plywood to the benches with 1/4'' SS washers and 1-1/4'' decking screws. I thought it turned out pretty good.

P1010013-3.jpg

The storage hatches came together nicely as well. Thanks to the posts who reccommended cutting the lids 1/8'' smaller than the opening to allow for the carpet. That is dead on. I went to West Marine to buy some SS hinges for the hatches, but ran across these black plastic hinges that were priced at $18.99 a pair, but they were on clearance so I ended up getting them for $5.00 a pair. I used some nylon webbed strapping that I had on hand for the hatch pulls. It was cheap and works pretty good.

P1010012-3.jpg

I put plywood on all the aluminum surfaces except on the built in livewell top. Because of the way the livewell opens and closes, I was afraid it would get too tricky with having to remove the door and refasten it just to add plywood, so i stuck the carpet right to the aluminum. I had to add a nylon strap to the livewell to make it easier to open since it doesn't sit on top of the side anymore.

P1010014-3.jpg

P1010011-3.jpg

You can see in the pictures that I have also put new floors in. I replaced the old plywood floors I had and this time I cut out around the ribs in the boat to eliminate the gap in the side. I like it much better. I will carpet the new floors as soon as I get a chance. I will add photos when I do.

esquired said:
Hot **** that looks good - very nice job.

Seems like your gog likes it as well - does the dog fish?

Thanks! The dog loves to fish. She is looking forward to having the carpet to sit on rather than that hot aluminum.

nice job...noticed the fly rods,is that your weapon of choice?
bass and pickeral can be a ball on the fly

Nickk said:
Zum said:
nice job...noticed the fly rods,is that your weapon of choice?
bass and pickeral can be a ball on the fly

hence the screen name I imagine.

I love to fly fish. Mostly for bluegill and bass. That's what I use this boat for 90% of the time.

Latest posts