Ideal trailer for a 12-footer?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndrewR

Reaction score
Hi, I've got a 12-foot row-boat that is permanently docked up at my place in WI on a little lake, and I am interested in getting a small trailer for it sometime during the next few months. I want something so I can trailer the little boat around to the numerous "ponds" and hidden little lakes that are throughout the woods of northern Wisconsin. I also have dreams of making float trips out of this thing on the upper stretches of the Wisconsin River.. Basically, these would be places where my 15ft Lund refurb boat wouldn't even come close to fitting into.

I also want and need a trailer so I wouldn't kill my car by car-topping the little boat everywhere.

For a small 12-foot boat (1973 sears boat), what is a good trailer to look for? What should the length of this trailer be? (general ideas)

Being a college student who has way more important expenses to cover, the funds really aren't there at the moment, so would it be possible to find something that works and is street and highway-worthy for $200 or less? If it needs work which it most likely will, I am willing to fix it up.

All I know is that I need the following:

- Must have 1 and 7/8" ball
- Gotta be able to drive on street and fast highway without falling apart
- Needs to be able to be towed through undeveloped terrain
- Needs to pull 12 foot boat

I've been keeping my eyes open on Craigslist and Ebay but nothing thus far. Considering how I will be up north at my place over memorial day and at various times throughout the summer, I'm thinking my best bet will be to look thru newspaper ads for any local sales.

Thanks guys. Hopefully the questions can be answered.

andrew

Keep your eyes open in those local papers - really the wrong time of year to buy a trailer - but who knows?

I suggest that you get a slightly larger then needed trailer, you never know when you might find a free or great deal on a larger boat hull.

Keep looking in backyards and such for those "forgotten" boats and trailers - I see abandoned stuff all the time and it is always worth a knock on the door

Check out the harbour freight boat trailer....I'm not sure how much it is...but for the money it's proab worth it...I have a utility trailer from them and it was money well spent....best thing is no shipping if yo uhave a store near you and it's new....don't have to owrrie about other peoples problems...

JON

AndrewR said:
Well, what do you think about length-wise for a trailer?

For a 12ft boat, would a trailer that's 15-18ft long, or even smaller work?

Andrew,
Look at the trailer on the upper right. It is for up to a 14 foot boat, but the length of the trailer is 15'6.

Hope this helps you get an idea.

https://www.directboats.com/un14botr.html

I'm sure there is an appropriate length trailer for specific length boats, but danged if I know. My 16' boat sits on a 19'2" trailer. As bassboy1 mentioned, I wish the tongue on mine was just a tad longer, because all they have are shallow ramps around here.

Came across this on ebay for $102 (price right now/ 3 days left)

3c54_3.JPG

You are bidding on the SEABIRD boat trailer in the pics. It is a tilt style trailer with bunks, and it adjusts. It held a 15 foot tri hull with a 50 hp motor, and would easily take more, or less. The tires have good tread, but are weather checked. The trailer has no damage or welds or repairs. There is surface rust all around, but it is skin deep, and the trailer is solid. The bunks are good. The lights are not hooked up, and the winch is missing the handle. This is a solid trailer that will need a little attention. There are no welds or modifications on the trailer anywhere. This trailer would hold anywhere for a 12 to a 16 foot boat in my estimation.

Wisconsin residents pay 5.5% sales tax

SPECS

SEA BIRD brand

16 foot 8 foot long overall

62 inches wide overall

1 7/8 inch inch coupler

winch is missing handle

safety tow chains

bearings were cool when I towed for quite a distance

The trailer is located near Black River Falls-Neillsville Wisconsin where it can be picked up, and can also be picked up in Marshfield, or Wausau Wiscosnin, if prior arrangements are made. DELIVERY or SHIPPING ARE NOT AVAILABLE. Full payment is due within 3 days of auctions end, and pickup of the trailer within a reasonable amount of time.

Right on the way up to my house up north . . . . Doesn't get any better than that! Only problem is that I wish there were a way to trailer two separate entities (the boat & trailer, and this trailer) at the same time with one car. :lol:

This would obviously be a project but I will look further. Hopefully something comes up when I make some trips more frequently in June (i hope)

Latest posts