Bilge Pump Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crankbait09

Reaction score
I have a jon boat, 14ft, flat bottom.

I have been pondering the idea of installing a bilge pump.

After window shopping online, it looks like it breaks down from how fast i want it to work/how many gph it can remove.
I am seeing them range from $15-$100+.

Can anyone suggest a good size for my type of boat?

The highest flow rate that fits your budget would be the best choice. A bilge being a safety device will only protect you up to just below it's "actual flowrate" of incoming water. i say "actual flowrate" because I've never seen a bilge run anywhere near it's claimed rate of flow.

worst case scenario would be like a completely failed bulkhead or tear in the hull.

if my math is correct a 3/4" hole , 2ft underwater, would take on 20 +- gpm

an empty 1448 with 24" side walls holds 830 +- gallons. it's full to the rim in 35 +- minutes with no bilge pump.

I did see this one on iboats. It has three models. Not sure if its a good brand or not

https://www.iboats.com/Seasense-Manual-Bilge-Pump-600-800-1100-GPH-12v/dm/cart_id.690473626--session_id.123911198--view_id.1023695

I don't have an electric bilge pump but carry a manual hand bilge pump on my tin. I do carry two drain plugs that are chained to the transom. The "bilge" area is easily visible so any signs of water will draw my attention.

I have an Atwood bilge pump on my glass boat as the bilge is under the gas tank and not visible. I usually only use this boat in the ocean so occasionally I'll hit the bilge pump switch just to satisfy my curiosity.

I was pricing the manual bilge pumps as an alternate route and the prices are exactly the same as electric ones. So was not expecting that. If im gonna pay the price for a manual, i might as well stick with electric.

but on the flip side, you wouldn't have to worry about running wire to the battery

options options

I have a 500 gpm w/ automatic switch on my 1436 and I think it is more than enough. I leave my boat in the water sometimes for weeks and it has kept up with some serious heavy rain. If you go with the automatic kind, make sure you hook it up to a switch too or be able to reach the pump to touch the sensor to manually turn it on. The water has to get a few inches deep for it to activate the sensor. They have two positive wires. One is a constant for the auto feature, the other is for a switch for manual operation. It also has a sensor on the side of the pump you can just touch to turn it on.

This is the one I have https://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_10051_12893_-1__?N=581132455

i have a 350 gph on my 14.5 and i use it to pump out after a good washing down or after a heavy rain and it pumps it out really quickly.i think i paid 30 bucks for it.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=320904#p320904 said:
crankbait09 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:32 am[/url]"]I was pricing the manual bilge pumps as an alternate route and the prices are exactly the same as electric ones. So was not expecting that. If im gonna pay the price for a manual, i might as well stick with electric.

but on the flip side, you wouldn't have to worry about running wire to the battery

options options

Remember - an elec. bilge will ONLY work if you have power and your wires, etc. are not damaged. I carry a hand operated model as a back up.

Latest posts