Installing an aluminum floor...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawgfish66

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to the site... I've searched for a while and haven't found the answer to my question in anybody else's build. I am installing an aluminum floor in a 1751 Polar Kraft. There is a 2" drop from the bottom of the floor to the top of the center of each rib. Any suggestions on the best way to brace/level the floor?

Install 1" aluminum angle bar across the ribs the width you want the floor to be and add risers to the rib every 10-12". Depending on how thick your aluminum sheet is you'll also need longitudinal stringers between your rib bars. If you run the extra stringers just notch out the section where they'll need to sit on the rib bars and everything will go together easier. Weld, rivet, or screw the frame together and to the ribs.

There are literally dozens of builds showing different methods to this madness of building with aluminum. :)

Here's one of mine when I was doing some 'testing' a couple years ago.
DSC06668.jpg

Ranchero50 said:
Install 1" aluminum angle bar across the ribs the width you want the floor to be and add risers to the rib every 10-12". Depending on how thick your aluminum sheet is you'll also need longitudinal stringers between your rib bars. If you run the extra stringers just notch out the section where they'll need to sit on the rib bars and everything will go together easier. Weld, rivet, or screw the frame together and to the ribs.
There are literally dozens of builds showing different methods to this madness of building with aluminum.
+2
You can also use 2X2 aluminum box tubing on top of the ribs just brace the centers.
DSC00173.jpg

DSC011202.jpg