Stick Steering - Need real world pics not advertisements

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PATRIOT

Reaction score
Looking for anyone who is currently running a stick-steer setup as there primary steering system.
Questions:
1) Is the "stick" itself easily removable and what determines its length?
2) What is the "throw" of the cable back at the motor?
3) How much mechanical advantage does the stick give you, i.e. are they hard to steer?
4) Is the "dampening" adjustable or do have to have your hand on the stick at all times?
Thx

Can't believe someone hasn't chimed in to help you. Sorry I'm no help with stick steer but it's an interesting subject. It seemed to be popular with a certain group around here a few years back. Mostly older fellows that used it, and they wouldn't have anything else. Most of those old fellows have since gone so I don't know if there's any stick steer boats left on the lakes in this area???

Hey Patriot, I checked with Southern Airboat forum and found several ideas.
By "cable" I'm guessing that you mean the more common modern push pull cable.
A simple washer and nylock nut used at the stick pivot can be tensioned/torqued to provide dampening.
Here is a link to YouTube of a rig that is pretty wild and heavily braced. I know you are looking for something
a lot simpler....Jerry :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3o8MyDgv_4&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DB3o8MyDgv_4&nomobile=1

Just purchased a Tracker with stick steer is there any way I can help with pictures? It is in the process of a overhaul.

I'm not quite sure if this does you any good or not but here's my .02. I previously owned an 83 1544 Duracraft with a stick-steer set up. I was running a 35 HP Evinrude.

1) Is the "stick" itself easily removable and what determines its length?

The "stick" was easily removable, as it was attached to the cable control box by a set screw.

2) What is the "throw" of the cable back at the motor?

The throw was essentially the same as a conventional set up. Or at least that was my experience.

3) How much mechanical advantage does the stick give you, i.e. are they hard to steer?

They are not hard to steer for small outboards. Steering problems arise by way of the usual suspects, poor maintenance, lube, ect. The only draw back is in order to achieve full rotation of the outboard, the stick has to be almost parallel to the floor. Your seat, or the stick, has to positioned high enough of the deck to achieve this.

4) Is the "dampening" adjustable or do have to have your hand on the stick at all times?

The dampening on the particular model i had was not adjustable. I could take my hand completely off the stick, and it would not pull to one side or the other.

I have found I like the conventional steering better for open lakes and higher powered vessels. But the stick seems easier for small rivers and creeks I've fished. So I guess its a question of how you intend to use it. Whatever you do, don't have ( or purchase) a set up that has the stick and throttle on the same side. My old boat was set up like that but i changed it to put the stick on the port side of the boat and left the throttle in its original position. I hope this answers at least one of your questions.

I have used stick steering for 10 yrs. and love it. Purchased a 14' Blue Fin deep vhull through state surplus. This was my first boat project and I still love and use it. Stick steering is easy to use and allows me extra room to move around. I use a Johnson 25 hp (2-cycle) with electric start and CMC tilt/trim . Being aluminum and with modest modifications, the boat has remained light enough to zip through the water at 28-30 mph. when trimmed out. I liked the idea of centering my 190 lbs. on the middle seat for best performance. For its size and maneuverability, I love it! Hope my pics download.
Start with the bottom picture and move up to see beginning to end.

One other thing. Since these pictures were taken, I mounted the trolling motor on the bow and use a "Big Foot" switch to control on-off.

Attachments

• 14' Blue Fin before mods-1.jpg
    14' Blue Fin before mods-1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 1,439
  • 14' Blue Fin before mods-2.jpg
    14' Blue Fin before mods-2.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 1,439
  • 14' Blue Fin with stick steering-front.jpg
    14' Blue Fin with stick steering-front.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 1,440
  • 14' Blue Fin with stick steering-back.jpg
    14' Blue Fin with stick steering-back.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 1,440
Stick steer is great. Throw on mine is 180 degrees. It's max is 40HP. I think this is because the boat can handle so fast that
with more power you could easily flip the boat. I can steer full right to full left in a fraction of a second. You might take your hand off it at slow speed for a couple of seconds but at high speed you have to keep your hand on it all the time. Super maneuverable. I've used it on creeks, rivers, bays and the Atlantic on my 16'. Wouldn't trade it for a wheel. Even with a 40 I think I could flip the boat with too much input at speed. Turns on a dime.

I'm also going to do a stick on my resto. Some pics of the bottom of the stick where the cable attaches would be helpful. Also, at what point on the stick would you put the pivot? (half way so its 1:1 or can you move the pivot down to gain mechanical advantage)

I had one in the past. The throw was pretty far, but that gave it pretty good leverage. It was good in low-power boats, but I would not want it for a boat that runs fast, as it is too easy to turn.

You had to hold on to the stick at all times.

Personally, I like a wheel, and the no-feedback steering systems.

-TH

Latest posts