"Rivit' Rivit" Is that a frog or what? Help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaymaglures

Reaction score
Getting started on my new project and just water tested and have a few leaks but not to bad for a 60's boat. Can anyone tell me if you need a special rivet or can you use just a regular pop rivet. I will seal around it with 5200 but wont it leak through the middle of the rivet ?
Any help would be great. Thanks

If the rivets are just seeping a little bit you can re-buck them. Otherwise, buy closed end pop rivets and replace them.

3/16" Aluminum rivet with aluminum mandrel.

https://www.hansonrivet.com/closed-end-blind-rivets.htm

Ok thanks fella's for all your help. The process of finding the right thing can be really hard but with a little help you can move right along.
I have some more pics of my project coming soon. Hopefully in the future I might even have some helpful answers. Thanks again

Apparently from the lack of response, ^ that's not a terrible idea? Cheaper, easier by yourself, and I can't seem to think of why it shouldn't hold up.... Unless someone would know why not?

I guess you could if you wanted to chance it.

Closed end rivets are sealed on one end, and you dab 5200 in the open end. The steel mandrel has much more tensile strength vs. aluminum mandrels.

Post some pictures when you can. Rebucking should work if they are in good shape.

When I was working on aircraft, we would shoot exterior rivets with a sealant. 5200 and a solid rivet will work fine for you. It will make a bit of a mess though. If the hole is uniform and the rivets fit snugly in the hole, most of the sealant will squeeze out. All the sealant does is lock the rivet in and seals any small imperfections where air/water might leak through.

If you need rivets I bought the smallest quantity of 3/16 solid rivets from Hansen 1 lb about 400 rivets. I would be happy to mail you a handful. PM me and we can get them to you.

Latest posts